Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Whats wrong with freckels

crazylady

Reaction score
since freckels has been in her new tank i have noticed she seems to be acting strange at first she hid alot i put it down to stress of moving in her new tank then i noticed when she was out her gills her forward so i turned the big filter off an just run the sponge filter now she seems to be ill in the last 2 weeks she hasnt been for a poo her tail is pink/red an i have just noticed her floating then suddenly kick her gills with her back leg looked like strange fit a first ive never seen her do it befor

• shes eating great like nomal
  • her temp is 16c
  • the water is great tested 2 days ago
  • i cleaned her new tank 5 times befor putting her in
  • she had nothing diffrent to her diet just earthworms 2 every 3rd day
  • shes about 25cm
i hope someone can help me an more importanly freckels

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What water parameters do you test? Usually gill-scratching is from irritation, often because of elevated ammonia.

What substrate do you have?

crazylady

Reaction score
well i went to get a master kits from my local pet shop an they only had test stips so im still unsure what the water is like still the test stips are say all is fine but i think my cycle has crashed i have done a 20% water change an checked for muck in her tank the wasnt any that i could see but i did notice that the air pump on the sponge filter wasnt as strong as it used to be so i change the air pump for my shrimps one (so now i need a master test kit an new airpump) i also have manged to set the big filter up with some pipe with holes to stop alot of the current freckels seems the same but im sure with daily water changes an both filters working she will be happy an back to her self

ps when i hubby gets home from work i will be going to get a master test kit an air pump maybe even some more things for her tank

binkiesbuns

Reaction score
I have been using the tetra test strips, not sure if this is the same as you but I agree they're not particularly accurate! I'm going to pets at home today to get an API master test kit, they're down from £33 to £27 and also have a 3 for 2 offer on tank ornaments. Also if theres a B&M bargains near you they do a small fish tank pack, for £12 you get what could be a glass quarantine tank, an air pump (excellent) and a sponge filter among other things :happy: Tell the hubby to get his hand in his pocket lol, its Christmas afterall;)

crazylady

Reaction score
hi they are the same i use i didnt get to go yesterday hubby didnt get home till 8 so by then every were was shut:( £27 is cheap i think i will get him to take me there an i shall get one also i have been to B&M an have the little tank which is my shrimp tank i must say the little pump an filter (the filter looks like a rocket :rofl:)are great the pump is now on my sponge filter in freckels tank untill i can get a new one she seems to be better too an her tail isnt pink now so must of been the filter an pump thanks for the heads up on the master kit :eek:

binkiesbuns

Reaction score
hi they are the same i use i didnt get to go yesterday hubby didnt get home till 8 so by then every were was shut:( £27 is cheap i think i will get him to take me there an i shall get one also i have been to B&M an have the little tank which is my shrimp tank i must say the little pump an filter (the filter looks like a rocket :rofl:)are great the pump is now on my sponge filter in freckels tank untill i can get a new one she seems to be better too an her tail isnt pink now so must of been the filter an pump thanks for the heads up on the master kit :eek:

Thats brilliant, I'm so happy to hear Freckles is feeling better! :D I've had problems with my guy to recently so I understand how frustrating it is, the wee tykes get under your skin and lodged firmly in your heart! I got the masterkit yesterday and have to say it is really good getting an accurate ammonia reading, only thing is it doesn't test GH & KH like the tetra strips do (lifes never simple lol =P) so hold on to them just incase ;)

crazylady

Reaction score
i got the api test kit an here are the results

ammonia o.25ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 5ppm

can anyone tell me what i should do now:confused: an what the correct reading should be for a axolotl

natjobe

Reaction score
Everything should be at zero, just do a small water change 20 percent. Test again tomorrow , if still high do another 20 percent. And so on till it drops. Just keep checking and be sure to give the tank fresh water each day and not to much so you don't crash your cycle. What is your temp? Any plants?

crazylady

Reaction score
i thought so thanks i did a small water change an will keep doing them every day my temp is 16c an i only have fake plant i worrie that getting live plants will bring snails in like it has with my shrimp tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1