Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. carnifex

enricolatiano

Reaction score
Hi to all,I've posted this pics on a facebook's group, and some people told me that it isn't a T. carnifex but a T. dobrogicus or a T. macedonicus. for you who is?

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 660

methodik

Reaction score
From the pictures I have seen so far, I'd guess it is a dobrogicus indeed. My first guess was marmoratus x cristatus but I think it is not the case.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It has T.dobrogicus in it for sure, but it´s not a normal dobrogicus...my guess is it´s an hybrid.

caleb

Reaction score
I don't think it's a dobrogicus. A dobrogicus would be more slender, the crest would usually extend further onto the head, there would be some white stippling on the sides, the belly spots would be joined together, the throat would be darker, and the spots on the crest would be more stretched.

The main thing is the build, though, this is just far too short-bodied for dobrogicus.

I have virtually no experience of macedonicus, but I have certainly seen carnifex that looked very similar to this animal.

Yahilles

Reaction score
The breeder of newts claimed they're all T. carnifex, but from some specific population. The fact that they don't look like typical carnifex doesn't make them dobrogicus.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I have to agree they have dobrogicus in them but they aren't dobrogicus. I think they are dobrogicus x carnifex or some sort. Completely impossible to be marmoratus with any crested species.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Looks like a T. carnifex. The only thing throwing me off is the coloration. The blotching and the head/snout really look like T. carnifex. The body shape is T. carnifex all the way. Its not a T. dobrogicus.

I don't have any T. macedonicus so I can't truely illustrate a judgement. I've seen pics of T. macedonicus and they do have that robust body shape unlike other slender Crested Newts. Whatever the case those newts look awesome.

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
I have to agree they have dobrogicus in them but they aren't dobrogicus. I think they are dobrogicus x carnifex or some sort. Completely impossible to be marmoratus with any crested species.

You can get hybrids of carnifex x marmoratus.

On the species looks like a carnifex x dobrogicus, but who knows without knowing locality and genetics.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I still think there´s some dobrogicus in there, but it seems that some macedonicus look quite similar to those animals:
Triton de Macédoine : Triturus macedonicus
However, the bit of the female that shows in the pictures doesn´t fit the macedonicus female profile but could fit a female dobrogicus.
The tail coloration is identical to T.dobrogicus and that really throws me off.
I think these could be from a natural hybrid popualtion from some of the areas of contact between T.carnifex or T.macedonicus with T.dobrogicus. But as said, without locality data or genetic proof, there´s no way of really knowing.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If that info is true, then they should theoretically be T.carnifex and only carnifex...
I hope you have the necessary papers for those.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I wish I could offer advice here. I have trouble telling the triturus complex apart as I have little experience with them.

I do admit they look different than my T. carns, but honestly, I suspect a bit of "off" coloration due to the nature of the digital camera and lighting used.

They are beautiful to see though.

Italicus

Reaction score
this are 100% carnifex, the colour is typical of the area were they come from, and probably enhanced by the light of the acquarium and by the flash of the camera, there is no dobrogicus in them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!