A pictorial tour of the Creepy Salamander Cave

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
So, my wife raided the Creepy Salamander Cave today and stole my experimental dishes and empty soda cans. She was able to fight off the interbreeding socks and wash and replace the doggie beds for my "research assistants"....

Anyway, as I keep getting requests for pics, so here is the "husbandry" side of the room. I am leaving out the "lab" side of the room, and the frogs, toads, and kiddie pool set ups, as there are portions of that area that could easily be misconstrued as something illegal.
(I'm a biochemistry student now-a-days and I do not want to be accused of making drugs or W.M.D.s or something silly like that....and when you see all that junk it sure looks like I am up to no good...)

So, anyway, here is the Cave in all its hillbilly, jury-rigged glory:

As you can see, I have plastered the door with all sorts of official looking signage. This is to keep teenagers from messing around with my precious junk. (Not pictured is a small warning sign that states "this workplace doesn't give a <expletive> about safety")
Entry.jpg

Next to the door is the "tool crib" This is where all the regular use stuff is kept and dried once it has been sanitized. Not pictured is the "dip bucket" to keep stuff free of nasty stuff.
Cleanedgear.jpg

As we move along, you see the "chem locker" shelf where all the really important, regularly used stuff is kept. There is actually a small Flammable Locker hiding in the closet, but it really has little to do with the Critter Room, so I left that out.
ImpotantChemicals.jpg

We pull back a bit so you can get a feel of the way things are organized. This is the "dim" end of the rack, for critters that really don't need direct light.
CSC1.jpg

As we work down the rack, you can see that most everything is made from recycled materials. I use a lot of salvaged lumber, used tanks, and stuff from surplus and closeout auctions whenever possible. It isn't pretty, but it is cheap and functional.
CSC2.jpg

Now, before you start trying to crucify me upside down, yes, I know the tanks look dirty. I long ago gave up on the whole "clean and sterile" method of husbandry. After a few lessons in the "lazy tank" method, I found that I got stable chemistry, healthier animals, and lots of cool stuff to look at under the microscope. I feel safe in bragging that the water chemistry is better than what any "sterile" system could achieve....with less work...
CSC5.jpg

Now, you may ask why there are airlines and cables all over the place. This is all temporary as I am spending my holiday break finishing up a centralized air supply and a unified,code-wired electrical system with Ground Fault Isolation for all the equipment. I am also in process of building a timer circuit so each new outlet can be controlled from one place, thus eliminating mechanical timers all over the place. Anyway, here is the "in use" portion of my invertebrate culture tanks. These tanks also supply water for my live plants, and grow lots of duckweed for my turtles and fish that live upstairs.
CSC4CultureTanks.jpg

Hiding behind the unfinished vivaria, piles of critterbooks and textbooks, and the file cabinet of "a decade of insane notes" is the computer, file server, and printer. In the back corner you can see a few small scale, preliminary invertebrate culture experiments. I keep them small and handy for a while before I go full scale with them. This is also where I keep my locked and loaded Nerf Dart guns, to fend off teenagers, the chunky Latina wife (no, I didn't nickname her that, she did...), and the occasional stupid cat...
ProjectsandExperiments.jpg

Here is a close up of an experiment. I stole Justin's Vernal Tank method...
VernalPondTankDryingstage.jpg

This is a shot of the last stage of my water recycling system. It looks awful, but this water is being aged with a few inches of all natural detritus, and is culturing protozoa to jump start new arthropod tanks. That is a fancy way of saying after filtering and UV sterilizing the water, I put all sorts of stuff in there to turn it back into pond water...
STARTERCULTURE.jpg

Finally, just for fun, here is a critter picture. Good luck, see if you can "Spot the Watl"

WatlTank.jpg

Nice. You should see Arnaud Jamin ''bunker'' 50meter per 30 meter space. Around 600 tanks and 120 Caudate species. 50-75 of witch are breed every year. When you see, you'll also think he's up to no good as well :D safely speaking :happy:

Nice. You should see Arnaud Jamin ''bunker'' 50meter per 30 meter space. Around 600 tanks and 120 Caudate species. 50-75 of witch are breed every year. When you see, you'll also think he's up to no good as well :D safely speaking :happy:

Soon as my kids leave for University, I am knocking out a wall down here and expanding. I have a 15 by 10 space right now, but once this wall is gone I'll have 25x25ish as we won't need a "family room" anymore...;)

Fantastic! I love places like that, loads of interesting and unusual things wherever you look. Must admit defeat on anything but a snail in the critter shot?

Regards Neil

Fantastic! I love places like that, loads of interesting and unusual things wherever you look. Must admit defeat on anything but a snail in the critter shot?

Regards Neil

Hint:

"They float. Down here they all float. Beep beep, Ritchie!"

It's hanging off the back edge of the cork bark, looking up towards the camera.

Jean Raffaeli sent me a photo of his "cave" years ago. The slide shows a looooong line of aquariums inside a limestone tunnel. Nothing else to see in the picture in the way of equipment, and I don't think he said much of how many species or what was breeding, but if one were to reasonably extrapolate...It was impressive enough as is.

Nice setup Johnny. I look forward to the day my caging is as organized as my bookshelves. All the parts, tools, etc are there...and here, and over there...

It's hanging off the back edge of the cork bark, looking up towards the camera.

Jean Raffaeli sent me a photo of his "cave" years ago. The slide shows a looooong line of aquariums inside a limestone tunnel. Nothing else to see in the picture in the way of equipment, and I don't think he said much of how many species or what was breeding, but if one were to reasonably extrapolate...It was impressive enough as is.

Nice setup Johnny. I look forward to the day my caging is as organized as my bookshelves. All the parts, tools, etc are there...and here, and over there...

If I could get away with actually digging a subterranean cavern here, I would. Once I get my mad scientist biolab projects finished and properly stowed, I hope to give a "tour" of the rest of the room. With any luck you will all get to see the egg and larvae rig I run, and the amphiuma pools! All that is empty right now as I moved my on hand eggs and larvae to a real lab for my thesis research...well that and my DIY microscopy rigs resemble some scary looking engineering at the moment.

Exactly what I imagined. Love the posters! Found the Watl instantly. I can't wait to have my own basement.. Love the pics can't wait to see more!

*Looks around at the small chaos of tanks surrounding the bed*

*sigh*

That´s the life, Johnny...a proper den. I´m very jealous.
I particularly like that you have the water recycling system and so many cultures, very pro!

Arnaud´s stone wine cellars are simply dreamy. Those caudates must be at ideal temps year-round, no wonder they breed. I´d stick a hammock in the cellar and live the remainder of my life there.

I´m with you, Johnny, if it were a possibility, i´d start digging right now....with my eyelids if necessary.

Yeah I have all of my caudates in my room with me. It's a lot harder to cool them, plus I have about 5 tanks going so they're all over the place haha.

The only thing I found disturbing was all those tanks with no lids..... But it's really cool down there! My basement is also a collection of tanks and gear, along with a sewing nook, a painting nook, a gift & package wrapping nook, laundry area, and the small freezer I have now for raw meat for the ferrets. No liquor in my basement.

Yeah I'm sure none of those were Kaiseri tanks LOL ;]

Very cool that you chose the animals health over 'vanity', Johnny. You are willing to do whatever works for your caudates, rather than have nice and shiny, unhealthy environments. To me that shows more professionalism. And the term "lazy method", is incorrect. In the plant nursery trade we referred to that as "benign neglect". In any case: good stuff! ;)

The only thing I found disturbing was all those tanks with no lids..... But it's really cool down there! My basement is also a collection of tanks and gear, along with a sewing nook, a painting nook, a gift & package wrapping nook, laundry area, and the small freezer I have now for raw meat for the ferrets. No liquor in my basement.

I removed the lids for photographic purposes. I use DIY lexan lids. They are functional, but embarrassingly ugly.

Wait. There is booze in my basement?!?!?

Don't tell my wife...

Here´s to benign neglect!! I know it has only improved my life and that of my animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back