Heat wave

dad of axle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I dont know if I should fridge my axie, the temp in my flat where i live is currently 30 c ( it is 10 mins to 12 at night) I have a sheet that has been drenched in water draped over the tank, a fan on it and an airconditioner running but the room is still 30 degrees C and the temp for the next three days is expected to be in the mid to high 30's/

if I fridge my axie to protect it from dying does it take time for it to adjust to the temperature in the fridge?

can someone give me a link to the fridging section. I also have 2ltr milk plastic milk cartons that i am freezing to put in the tank,

I have to go out of the house for two hours on friday during the hot part of the day but can be here for the rest of it.

Thanks, Does the Lid need to have holes to let oxygen in, or should i seal it?
I will by a themoter first thing tomorow from the chemist.or should i now say today. I have finally managed to get the temp down to 27 degrees C and it is 10 past one in the morning.

Aussie summer,....

Poke some holes in it. Cold water holds more oxygen than warm, so don't worry about that. Just check on him a couple times a day. Take the lid off, fan the water with it.

I'd get a chiller if I where you. large and constant swings in temperature are very stressful. even with frozen bottles and fans I found it hard to keep the tank at a nice steady temperature.

last summer my axies lived in my beer fridge, my axies where happy but the beer that I had to remove to make room for them wasn't.

that won't be the case this year as I have a chiller now. like with you, perth summers are brutal and unusually long. unfortunately the rest of the country floods and we in WA burn instead, almost literally!

I'm from Adelaide too and even with the air con on and ice tubs the temp hasn't gone below 21.8 and swings between that and around 24.

I'm worried about the temp swings and have been thinking about putting Alex in the fridge until this is over or I can afford a chiller.

I was thinking about cleaning out the tub thing that you are meant to put the vegetables and stuff in but am wondering, would it be too cold there?

Also I'm worried because Alex hasn't been eating properly lately as it is and is getting skinny, so I don't really want to put him in a situation where he will eat even less.

So guess my question is will he be better of in his tank which can go from 23/24 to 21 and back again in 24 hours (sometimes more than once) or in the fridge where he will eat even less?

I am currently saving for a chiller, and I put an add out for a second hand one but have not had a response yet. So unfortunately Axle and I have to try and get through this summer without one for the moment.

Is there a guide out there for chillers? Even though it's winter here, I Iive on the third floor and without opening my window or applying frozen water bottles,the heat from the rest of the building tends to seep into my room. Not to a dangerous level, but I would feel more at ease knowing their temperature was controlled.

Good Question, about Chillers. I am saving for a Teco C5 Chiller and have been quoted 700 dollars Australian, I plan on using it for a 3ft long tank and the person who gave me the quote said it should take about 12 degrees down from the ambient temperature of the room.

I have been checking out other brands such as Aqua one because they are cheaper, but they don't seem to be as good at reducing the temp only lowering it by about 7 degrees.

Because South Australia has such hot weather I think i need a Teco or Hallea and that means i have to save big time to afford one ( as in a months worth of my pension)

I'm really worried about this too! I'm actually thinking of not going away for 2 days over Christmas just because I'm so worried and don't believe my room mate will properly monitor the temp on Zuko's tank.

The past two days, the temp has been always over 20 Celsius and generally hovers at 22 or 23. I'm thinking maybe I should fridge Zuko until his new tank has finished cycling but I'm quite concerned about the procedure as we have a bad fridge (it leaks water from the freezer into the fridge part) and its really small. I feel a little bit over my head of what's best for the little one... :confused:

Currently I have a fan on him and a damp cloth over the tank. Tomorrow, me and my partner will be trying to make a home cooling system of filtering water through an iced esky.

Definitely will save up for a chiller to avoid this next summer!!

I'm really worried about this too! I'm actually thinking of not going away for 2 days over Christmas just because I'm so worried and don't believe my room mate will properly monitor the temp on Zuko's tank.

The past two days, the temp has been always over 20 Celsius and generally hovers at 22 or 23. I'm thinking maybe I should fridge Zuko until his new tank has finished cycling but I'm quite concerned about the procedure as we have a bad fridge (it leaks water from the freezer into the fridge part) and its really small. I feel a little bit over my head of what's best for the little one... :confused:

Currently I have a fan on him and a damp cloth over the tank. Tomorrow, me and my partner will be trying to make a home cooling system of filtering water through an iced esky.

Definitely will save up for a chiller to avoid this next summer!!

I was contemplating this same issue. I might just crack my window open and close my door for the couple of days that I'll be gone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back