Status
Not open for further replies.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
As this comes up every so often, but not often enough, here is a list of things you should have on hand BEFORE you get an axolotl.

1. Aquarium- Minimum size US 10 gallon per axolotl

2. Air Pump- Buy one that is suitable for your tank size

3. Air Supplies- Tubing, check valves, control valves, T-joints, splices

4.Filter- Buy the appropriate low flow or sponge filter for you tank size. Axolotls die from stress caused by current, so in many cases an undersized filter is best. If temperatures are a problem, avoid electric in tank filters.

5. Aquarium cover- buy what is appropriate for your set up.

6. Water Conditioner- Avoid "slime coat" products. Buy products that remove chlorine, chloramine, and metals. Sodium thiosulfate based solutions are best.

7. Turkey baster- Not an option. You need one...at least. Period.

8. Siphon Hose- Buy a commercial job or save a few bucks and buy some bulk at the hardware store.

9. Food- Earthworms are best for adults. Frozen foods are a good alternative. Pellets are garbage unless you can get trout pellets or axolotl pellets.

10. Water Chemistry test kit- Spend the money and buy it first. If you do not have one, you should reconsider owning aquatic pets.

11. Nets- Have a variety of ultra fine mesh, no-snag nets on hand that meet the size of your pet

12. Lighting- Lights are OPTIONAL. Waste of money. If you must have one, NO incandescents or UV reptile lights.

13. Substrate- appropriately sized. OPTIONAL. Truth is you are better off without it if you are new to the aquarium hobby.

14. Buckets- You must have at least one bucket. More is better. US 5 gallon is best.

15. READ- Before placing posts in the forums here, read everything you can using our search function and our sister sites. Do not expect an answer if you waste time posting before you bothered to use a few mouse clicks to find out for yourself.

16. Large tweezers or forceps- If you have them, you will know when to use them.

17. Common Sense- If you do not have any, try a nice pet rock instead.:p

Thanks to iSuzie:

18. THERMOMETER- you MUST have a thermometer to measure WATER temperature. This is almost as important as the water itself.

19. Hiding Spots- Axolotls hate light almost as much as they hate being handled. You should have either heavy "plant" cover and/or "caves" for them to hide in.

Last edited:
You forgot hiding places and a thermometer.. You'd be surprised at how many people don't have a thermometer before buying an axie. I have given all the information under the sun to people when buying babys off me, and they always seem to have read it. But then you still get that one person that has a problem and your first question is "whats the temp" and they reply "i don't know, i haven't got a thermometer" :confused:

Makes me very upset and mad!

While I admire the fact that you've taken the time to write this long list, I must strongly disagree. These items are not all necessary to keep these very simple creatures. In fact, if you read through the threads in the "Sick Axolotl" section you will see a trend. Many of the issues people are having are the result of them making things too complicated. There are really only 3 items one needs to have success and I will list them below. Common sense and motivation are the fourth and fifth thing, but all of the money in the world couldn't buy either of them.

1. A tub, or a tank, or something that holds water

2. Dechlorinated water

3. Quality food (in other words, earthworms)

All three things are easy to come up with the same day the animal is aquired.

While I admire the fact that you've taken the time to write this long list, I must strongly disagree. These items are not all necessary to keep these very simple creatures. In fact, if you read through the threads in the "Sick Axolotl" section you will see a trend. Many of the issues people are having are the result of them making things too complicated. There are really only 3 items one needs to have success and I will list them below. Common sense and motivation are the fourth and fifth thing, but all of the money in the world couldn't buy either of them.

2. Dechlorinated water

I personally agree with you, but I have to disagree for the sake of folks that are completely new to aquatic pets. While a tub, water and food are the basics, most folks do not seem to grasp the concept enough to have success with the tub method. (Even though I use it too.);)

I personally agree with you, but I have to disagree for the sake of folks that are completely new to aquatic pets. While a tub, water and food are the basics, most folks do not seem to grasp the concept enough to have success with the tub method. (Even though I use it too.);)

To be honest I think it's more the fact that people no longer look up how to look after something and like to be spoon fed information.....no amount of detailed lists can help those who won't do research.....

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

You forgot frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, earthworms, and trout pellets. :p

Pardon me if I seem rude, but if those people who are new to aquatic pets can't seem to grasp the simple tub method, won't adding items like filters (which require cycling of the tank) and lighting just complicate it even more? That seems to be the case with beginners on here, they get overwhelmed by all of this new information because they make it more complicated than it should be and end up having major problems.

2. Dechlorinated water

Almost everything on this list will be needed at some point when keeping axolotls, and the complications don't come from the tools/ items used. Complications come from pet stores giving the wrong information, breeders giving the wrong informations, and people that think they already know how to look after an axie because they have had fish before.
The list is a great idea for beginners to know exactly what's needed when planing for an axie.
Although I do agree on the complications beginners come across but i don't think they are caused by items and tools but are caused by misinformation and not doing proper research before buying a axie. If everyone researched before buying and planed things better they wouldn't have any/so many issues with their pets. Preparation is the key to success with almost everything in life and if people were to research and plan what type of tank and system they are going to use everything would go much smoother and everything wouldn't get so over whelming. There are so many options and way to keep axies and yes that can be confusing and over whelming but really it doesn't have to be if u plan, pre-pair and chose a system that's going to work for your situation and have some type of common sense then your set up should be fine and so should your pets.

Great idea for the list im going to use it when i sell my baby's so people understand that you need more than a tank and food when caring for axolotls. :)

And yes keeping things simple is always better, but even the most simple set ups will require buckets, Siphon, water conditioner, a master test kit, thermometer and a turkey baster and that's just for the set up, then you will need a food source and maybe even more. As for the rest of the list at some point almost everything else will be needed at some point in time :)

And yes keeping things simple is always better, but even the most simple set ups will require buckets, Siphon, water conditioner, a master test kit, thermometer and a turkey baster and that's just for the set up, then you will need a food source and maybe even more. As for the rest of the list at some point almost everything else will be needed at some point in time :)

Really? I'm maintaining about 1,200 axolotls from under an inch to over a foot right now and have no thermometer, no filtration, lights, buckets, water conditioner, siphon (except one I use on newts, not axolotls) or test kits. The only reason I have turkey basters is to feed live brine shrimp to the very young larvae (most beginners don't start out with larvae, so they're not necessary). My animals are doing great, and it has nothing to do with good luck, believe me, I don't have much of that either.

Look through the sick axolotl section and see how many people tell horror stories. Then look at how many of them are also using filters as opposed to standing water. The majority of them use filters. Complicated devices cause complicated problems. Filters produce 2 things that one should avoid with axolotls: heat and water current. Filtered tanks also need to be cycled which can take months to do properly and for a beginner can be extremely confusing and discouraging at the same time.

This is axolotl keeping, not rocket science. I'm all for being prepared, but these creatures require very little to keep them content.

But Jake, you have years of experience. I couldn´t agree more that keeping it simple is by far the best way, and since i started applying benign neglect to my aquariums i´m way happier (i´ll never go back..never!!!!), but i too think it´s the kind of method that you have to grow into with experience. For your average complete beginner it leaves room for lots of easy mistakes and problems. It´s not until a person acquires experience and confidence that the simpler method becomes both preferable and all around better.
Imagine for example a newbie that knows nothing about water chemistry. That person will benefit a great deal from having a test kit that will allow him/her to monitor the water quality. With time, they´ll do without the test kits as they´ll be able to rely on their judgement and experience. If they start out without the test kits and without an understanding of water chemistry, they may make a fatal mistake. Having the test kit allows for prevention.
I´m a huge defender of not using filters for still water species but i can see how a newcomer could benefit from using one. Mind you, personally i´d advice them to just get a bigger tank and use plants rather than using a filter.

I think there is value in starting out "complicated" and then easing into a simpler way with time. It´s a bit like driving in a way...you´ll never drive "better" than when you get your license. After that, you´ll acquire "bad" habits and become more relaxed...

Why on earth would someone with little or no experience keeping axolotls start out keeping them in a complicated way? They should start out simple and slowly work their way into something more complicated, though that is never even necessary. Tubs/tanks with just standing water (no plants, those add complication) are extremely easy to keep up with with little room for error. Doing a water change is like changing a diaper on a baby, if it's too much work for the keepers then they shouldn't have them in the first place :)

that list is totally overkill, all you need is:

Plastic Tub
Water
Declorinator
Axolotl
Food

Nothing more is needed.

Really? I'm maintaining about 1,200 axolotls from under an inch to over a foot right now and have no thermometer, no filtration, lights, buckets, water conditioner, siphon (except one I use on newts, not axolotls) or test kits. The only reason I have turkey basters is to feed live brine shrimp to the very young larvae (most beginners don't start out with larvae, so they're not necessary). My animals are doing great, and it has nothing to do with good luck, believe me, I don't have much of that either.

Look through the sick axolotl section and see how many people tell horror stories. Then look at how many of them are also using filters as opposed to standing water. The majority of them use filters. Complicated devices cause complicated problems. Filters produce 2 things that one should avoid with axolotls: heat and water current. Filtered tanks also need to be cycled which can take months to do properly and for a beginner can be extremely confusing and discouraging at the same time.

This is axolotl keeping, not rocket science. I'm all for being prepared, but these creatures require very little to keep them content.

Oh but Jake i didn't add filter to the small list then.. and your going on about how complicated a filter is?
How do u not use a bucket?? If your not using water condition how do you sit your water? En less you have tank water or some type of rain water witch not everyone has access to then its not possible. And here where the ammonia changes in the tap water randomly it is essential to test the water when doing water changes. As for the thermometer how would you expect a new owner or any owner for that fact to tell what temperature the water is? Sorry I may not have as much axies or experience as you to be able to tell the temp of water with my fingertips or empty a tank without a siphon or a bucket.. Even if you only use tubs then what do you recommend for someone with a 4ft tank and a bad back?

Although your system my not include any of these items how is that relevant to the list for axolotl owners? They don't all live where you do, have the same set up idea's or set up's as you, so there for you can not possibly tell what they wont need and what's not necessary for them to use when setting up an aquarium and keeping maintenance on one. You have to remember what may work for you wont work for everyone. And that everyone lives in different places to you and they have different idea's for their ideal tank/set up and for those set up's to work they require other objects and tool designed for the particular job.

Also one more thing, no one said anywhere on the list ALL of the objects will be required its just a list of things you should consider buying before you get your axie. Clearly if you know you wont need a certain item/tool then you would know why and you wont buy it according to your plans for your set up. Doesn't mean no one else will ever need that item/tool now does it? ..

When I bought my axolotl it was in a tank, so I thought to put it in a tank, with plants and lights like I do with my fish as I have koi carp and goldfish.

As a lot of people see them as 'fishy things' if they've never seen or heard of them before people generally do keep them in fish tanks and think they need filters and not a simple set up.

I 100% agree that axolotls are easier kept in the methods you are speaking of, but the complexity of set up is due to what someone is used to, fish have filters and live in water so lets put a filter on that tank and use lights and plants.

I actually prefer my filter and plants and lights it looks nice, not saying yours dont, and I have got some eggs waiting to hatch in tubs, no problem at all im loving it easier than what Ive been used to.... so far until they hatch haha :)

Theres not really anywhere on the internet a site where someone can find information that is solid like this unless searching through millions of pages of contradicting information, which can often lead to caring for axolotls in an unproper way . So its not always the person being **** at researching its the quality of information provided by sites and people who are starting up dont always know what to trust and what not to.

Personal upbringing and where you buy it from, not the person trying to make it more complicated for themselves, id have loved to know I could of kept it in a tub when I started as I had a lot of issues with her and fungus, due to live food not temp.

Anyway as long as the axolotl is good, tank or tub is fine. But for the beginner it should be suggested that if they have no idea about setting up filters and tanks and cant grasp water chemistry to start off simple and if they want to change later they can :wacko:

I love it when a plan comes together...

As it is being discussed, the thread is advantageous to newcomers.

As for simplicity versus complexity, experience is THE factor, and for those that lack experience, it is better to start out the long way rather than use the short cuts we old timers use.

I'm not sure if experience is really the answer either honestly. Any yahoo can do multiple waterchanges to keep the water in check. What it really comes down to is whether the owner is willing to do the waterchanges to keep things simple, which in my experiences most newbies are not willing to do.
So while I think keeping an axolotl in a tub without cycling is totally doable, it's not really a realistic thing to do for fish newbies, as they really want to have an enjoyable enclosure. A plain tub, and doing multiple waterchanges a week is not what I would define as enjoyable.
On the other hand, keeping a large tank with a small filter for bb, with some plants to keep the nitrate in check makes a very low maintenance tank that provides the environment an axolotl enjoys, while keeping the workload to a minimum. I always attempt to advise fish newbies for this setup, because while it may be more "complicated" it's far less work once you understand everything behind taking care of the water. Which in all honesty I think anyone who is taking care of aquatic life should at least understand the nitrogen cycle, and know why they need to do waterchanges.

Im happy with my two adults in a tank. When it comes to my eggs i love them in the tubs over 400 babies ready to hatch, and they will be staying in tubs for the best part of their childhood, you are all gonna think im a omg so cute axie person when i say this, but a tank looks more like a home than a tub lol.

Although im happy with my anubias in my little tubs.

Tub method easier if the owner is prepared to put the effort in everyday but a lot of people with pets arent.

And carsona , i think water chemistry is importqnt, but not neccesary for a newbiee doing frequent water changes, will stop the amount of tragic.axolot deaths and suffering so really as long as the axi is being treated right i dont mind. And i know so many people who struggle with the nitrogen cycle, they find it hard to grasp which i dont know why, but i suppose we cant change peoples brains or.can we ha ha x

Oh but Jake i didn't add filter to the small list then.. and your going on about how complicated a filter is?
How do u not use a bucket?? If your not using water condition how do you sit your water? En less you have tank water or some type of rain water witch not everyone has access to then its not possible. And here where the ammonia changes in the tap water randomly it is essential to test the water when doing water changes. As for the thermometer how would you expect a new owner or any owner for that fact to tell what temperature the water is? Sorry I may not have as much axies or experience as you to be able to tell the temp of water with my fingertips or empty a tank without a siphon or a bucket.. Even if you only use tubs then what do you recommend for someone with a 4ft tank and a bad back?

Although your system my not include any of these items how is that relevant to the list for axolotl owners? They don't all live where you do, have the same set up idea's or set up's as you, so there for you can not possibly tell what they wont need and what's not necessary for them to use when setting up an aquarium and keeping maintenance on one. You have to remember what may work for you wont work for everyone. And that everyone lives in different places to you and they have different idea's for their ideal tank/set up and for those set up's to work they require other objects and tool designed for the particular job.

Also one more thing, no one said anywhere on the list ALL of the objects will be required its just a list of things you should consider buying before you get your axie. Clearly if you know you wont need a certain item/tool then you would know why and you wont buy it according to your plans for your set up. Doesn't mean no one else will ever need that item/tool now does it? ..

Oh but Suzi, I know you didn't mention a filter specifically in your post. My response was directed at the fact that you said "As for the rest of the list at some point everything everything will be needed at some point in time :)" I went on about not needing a filter because I feel strongly about it, sorry it offended you? I don't know what to say.

It's easy not to use a bucket. I fill a tub with water, place the axolotls in the fresh water and dump the tub of old water out, and BAM!!! It's finished! It's easy and it works...that's why I recommend it for beginners. No bucket or siphon involved.

I know several people who never check the water temperature in their tanks and they have much better luck than the average axolotl keeper on this site. If there is a standing tub of water, not in direct sunlight in a room that is 72 degrees F or under then it's safe to assume that tank of water is slightly under that temperature. Using fingertips is not accurate at all.

What do I recommend for someone with a 4ft tank and a bad back?! The same thing I recommend for ANYONE else...get some tubs to keep the axolotls in. I thought I made that clear. Or they can ask someone else to do tank cleaning/water changes for them.

Once again this is not rocket science, it's keeping axolotls. If you want to make it complicated that's on you, I'll let you confuse the beginners. I am going to continue to preach the simple method to everyone because I know it works.

Hey, I realize that not everyone lives where I do which is a good thing because I can't stand a lot of people on this site. You can live anywhere in the world and use this method with success. In fact, people all over the world do use this method and it works!

For the record I said that I strongly disagreed with the need for the items on the list.

Oh but Suzi, I know you didn't mention a filter specifically in your post. My response was directed at the fact that you said "As for the rest of the list at some point everything everything will be needed at some point in time :)" I went on about not needing a filter because I feel strongly about it, sorry it offended you? I don't know what to say.

It's easy not to use a bucket. I fill a tub with water, place the axolotls in the fresh water and dump the tub of old water out, and BAM!!! It's finished! It's easy and it works...that's why I recommend it for beginners. No bucket or siphon involved.

I know several people who never check the water temperature in their tanks and they have much better luck than the average axolotl keeper on this site. If there is a standing tub of water, not in direct sunlight in a room that is 72 degrees F or under then it's safe to assume that tank of water is slightly under that temperature. Using fingertips is not accurate at all.

What do I recommend for someone with a 4ft tank and a bad back?! The same thing I recommend for ANYONE else...get some tubs to keep the axolotls in. I thought I made that clear. Or they can ask someone else to do tank cleaning/water changes for them.

Once again this is not rocket science, it's keeping axolotls. If you want to make it complicated that's on you, I'll let you confuse the beginners. I am going to continue to preach the simple method to everyone because I know it works.

Hey, I realize that not everyone lives where I do which is a good thing because I can't stand a lot of people on this site. You can live anywhere in the world and use this method with success. In fact, people all over the world do use this method and it works!

For the record I said that I strongly disagreed with the need for the items on the list.

I understand your feeling on filters, i don't like them much ether. but i just didn't understand why your respond was all about filters when i didn't say anything about one lol
Now i understand you were referring it it because it was on the list. But I did also word it carefully and says MOST of the items will be needed at some point.

As for the buckets im not sure what you call a bucket but a tub and a bucket are pretty much the same thing to me, both hold water, and come in different sizes only difference really is the shape?? So using a tub to do water changes is the same is using a bucket to me.

As for recommending to not use a thermometer I think that's a bit on the ridiculous side and very impractical for a majority of axolotl owners. Checking the temperature is very important and there's no other way to do so accurately without one.

And yes the best way to have a tank is simple, but even then most people will need a bucket and a thermometer along with a test kit if there water source is anything like mine and depending on the set up they might require more un-complicated tools such as a turkey baster or a siphon.

As for someone with a 4ft tank and a bad back, there are plenty of people that like there pets to be pets on show, in a tank, in a nice set up in say.. their lounge room?.. Not very many beginners wants to have an axie in a tub somewhere. The attraction to axies is mostly there unique look or so I have found. Then you get the more advance beginner that is different and wants to do things differently.. and yes that fine to advice them on how you would do it, but that doesn't mean every single person should only be advised on what you think is the best set up. Sometimes its better to just use one of the simple tools we have and siphon the water out.

On that note, im going to drop this disagreement as I don't think its really going anywhere beneficial to anyone. I think the list is great, you may not, that's fine and that pretty much sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back