Illness/Sickness: Potential constipation?

Eastling352

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Martin Östling
I noticed it today when I saw Hampey floating near the surface and kinda struggling to swim down, it looks like she's got something in her belly. It's dark and makes her stomach look kinda, well, not normal.

Here's some pictures
5fc2a79e-b5d5-911a.jpg

5fc2a79e-b63c-c2e3.jpg

5fc2a79e-b66c-f46f.jpg

Is this something to worry about? My current plan is to wait a couple of days and see if there's some changes but if anyone know something better to do...

Any fish or other tank mates? What's her diet? Any river rocks or stones? Doesn't look smooth whatever is in her. I would probably fridge her, definitely make sure you do something to let her touch the ground so she doesn't get stressed out. You can put her in a well sealed container that allows her to touch the ground and still be covered by water, then ideally put in the fridge, with a temp around 5 degrees. Daily water changes of the container are necessary, or you can lower the level in the tank and see if that helps. But refrigerating is best. What is the tank temp and nitrites?

No fish, just another Axie in her tank.
Her diet consists of earthworms, though she hasn't eaten in 3 days now, didn't want to eat today either. Just spat the worms out, even the small ones.
And i haven't added any small rocks that she could have eaten, it's just sand, plants and 2 large pieces of slate as a hide.
The temperature is around 20 degrees at the moment.
Can't check the nitrate level until tomorrow since the pet store is closed.

Gonna check her again when i wake up, then if she's not better i'll fridge her.

Maybe she could be eating sand?

That is pretty much the only thing that would make sense.

They do attack my plants sometimes, so maybe she could've eaten a piece of root, but i don't think that would cause her to get constipated..

We'll see tomorrow if that's the case.

Ive heard of axies becoming sand eaters, if thats the case you will have to take the sand out :/

If it's a regular plant eater, that can cause excess gas, causing floating.

JUst reading your posts, and wondered how you went with the fridging... if you did it, and how did it work?? Whats the story now with your axolotol? Hope it is better/ok:happy:

I meant to update this thread but i havent had any time.

From what i can see she is ok. I didn't fridge her, just waited 2 days then the swelling went down. So from what i can see she just had to poop.
But i think Kaysey is right, she's a plant eater. I saw her yesterday with plants stuck in her cloacha, it took her a while but she managed to get it out. She was very hungry afterwards though as she managed to slurp down a good sized worm without spitting it out. Both of them actually attack my plants sometimes but i havent observed them eating any plants.

By the way, with excess gas does that include air bubbles coming from her mouth? I saw her doing that, spitting out air bubbles a few days ago.

Spitting out air bubbles is usually them releasing air from the lungs that they gulped at the surface. I've never seen an axolotl burp, but I don't see why they couldn't.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back