Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Got a bit of an idea brewing... thoughts?

snootyfox

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondered if you could spare me a couple of mins to let me know your thoughts on something.

I'd like to set up a thread on here to create a bit of a network for caudate owners near to where we live. It's useful for to know that there is someone not far who can take in our axies and andersonis, should we need to go away for a week or so, and in return do the same, creating a shared tank space where axies can always get the care that they need.

This idea came recently as we decided to stay home for Christmas. Our friend had offered to look after the axies so we could go away but she does not have the experience to look after them (maintain husbandry, feed them all their specific foods, take care to wash hands thoroughly before putting them in the tank etc) so we had considered fridging them all until we returned. Then we realised their water would need changing every day.
We are not comfortable with the idea of a pet sitter in our house, or people we don't know being aware of our absence.
We don't even know of a boarding service for axies. Certainly we would not have our babies returned to the terrible myriad pet stores we obtained them from.

Thus we thought if we knew more people in our area with axolotls then we could bring the axies over to stay in the 'sitter's fridge, knowing that they would be fed and changed by experienced axie owners. I think adding them to existing tanks rather than fridging could stress them, and introduce them to unusual water conditions, but it's a thought. We always keep a tank cycled and monitored in the case of squabbles in the pack :) It also creates a nice local network of knowledge and owners - say one of our sitters had run completely out of live foods over a bank holiday weekend. We can share our worms and guppies and there will always be a cup of dechorinator to borrow :)

Does this sound appealing to anyone? Could we make it a separate topic or sticky if there's enough interest?

I'm happy to start off - I live in central London and currently only keep axies and andersonis. Would idealy like to meet same as I'm not familiar with other species but I'm keen to learn just in case :)

Please reply to this thread rather than inbox me initally - I want all (if any!) interest to be on display so we can try to encourage others to do the same and try and grow the local networks within caudata.org!!

Let me know your thoughts - if it's a terrible idea, I'll shut up :)

x Charlie

Rubyfox

Reaction score
I think its a great idea, but I am new to looking after Axolotls so may-be in a few months time I will feel happy to look after somebody ele's while there away. I live in Lancaster, Lancashire.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I know i´m not british, but i wanted to say it´s a nice idea. Everything that creates a local community is always good. I know it´s something i´d like to have where i live.
I too have some reservations about moving the animals from one place to another, but well, that´s me, plus there are plenty of other things which would be worthwhile as you have suggested.

Also, bare in mind that depending on the characteristics of your tank and the state of your animals it may be entirely possible to leave them alone for a week or perhaps more. Being a large bodied species means they can tolerate a considerable amount of fasting, plus they are oportunistic predators so they can deal with shortages of food. Of course they have their limits but a few days shouldn´t necessarily be an issue at all. I just thought i´d mention it in case someone might be tempted to drop their animals for just a few days which may be unnecessary.

snootyfox

Reaction score
Hey!

Thanks for the replies so far - spread the word! Let's make it happen!!

Rodrigo - You're so right - but my A.Andersoni WILL eat eachother if they are without feeding every day. They aren't vicious but goodness they eat non-stop!!

xC

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this since you posted. Most caudates will be fine left alone for a couple of weeks with out any problems. Summer time however can on occasion be risky if their environment can become too hot, though I found my lot where fine with all windows/doors/ curtains shut and any heat making appliances switched off.
Perhaps a section for 'Caudate Boarding' offers might be the way to go ?

snootyfox

Reaction score
Yes I agree that they should be fine for a couple of weeks - but I know especially when my andersoni are hungry, if I don't feed them then they snap at eachother. I'm more interested in creating a network locally, so I know there are always people around in London who can take a baby here or there, especially when our Andersoni's lay their eggs. A boarding thread is a great idea - but would it also be a good idea to structure a part of the forum around countries (then towns) etc? This creates a bit of awareness of herpy people close to you. It's a great networking tool - just the other day, my other half mentioned one of our babies on twitter and instantly someone very locally made contact, wanting to know about other places in London where there are axolotls and a bit of a link was made there. It's an exciting prospect to discover people locally with the same hobby as you, and hopefully will prove very useful too!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I do like your idea, and it would be good to know that there may be other caudate addicts close by. I recently discovered some one that I have communicated with for years on another forum lives barely 5 minutes from me .
When I joined here, there was a map, that you could pin your location to, I have no idea where or even if it is still available for use.
Beside my name here I do have my location visible, but I notice many others don't. It might help if more people display this.

lollypop

Reaction score
Sounds good to me,
I'm in Bedfordshire close to Luton.
At the moment I have my eldest son looking after my animals, mainly because I have eggs due to hatch any day. ( I'm up north at my mums) normally I don't worry so much if I have to go away even if for a week or so I teen to feed them up bait before I go, so I know they will last well food wise. I do usually get someone to go in and just check the tanks haven't leaked or the filters shyphoned all the water out of a tank. ( have had that happen before:eek:)
So yeah someone who knew what they were doing in case of a longer break would be good.

iChris

Reaction score
what a good idea.

the only other user that lives near me is mereB... surely you all know her and her big tank. in-fact we both frequent the same aquarium stores!

kiathepooch

Reaction score
I too like this idea,more so if a holiday coincided with a load of newly hatched young!
I'm from east Lancashire,which is code for small mill town almost in the countryside lol

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

KingCanon

Reaction score
I have to give this idea as enthusiastic a thumbs up as is humanly possible. Not only does it create a boarding potential but there is the inherent social side to it too. I mean we all enjoy coming here for a chin wag (via keys) but what could be more comforting then knowing someone down the road who could pop in to diagnose odd symptoms? Who could accompany fist time buyers and helped to pick out the healthiest of the litter. Plus it opens up the network of proffered suppliers and so on.

I'm from a small village in Cheshire called Barnton I anyone's been here... I can only apologise it was so boring.

Bravo for the idea !

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.276793,-2.546038

KingCanon

Reaction score
I'm sure I've noticed a couple? I think What's needed is a section dedicated to locations, separate it by country and then province then by species and then by requirement. That way a member can find breeders of paddle tails as easy as someone looking for live food providers in Alabama.
That way anyone who wants to know who's about them can.
However i'm not sure it's possible here or would need to be another site? Also it'd need to be elective. Not everyone wants their where abouts public knowledge (I'm now using an app that makes it blinking public knowledge so no one turn up at my house ya hear lol)

I'm not a web builder but it's either that or create a search and label system. Where users can designate them selves searchable by area and what they know and or have an interest in. I really would love to see the social side brought to life

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.276842,-2.546029

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Sounds brilliant. An addition to your idea: I'm fairly certain services like Google Maps can host a sort of "Pin-up map" feature for sites. Members can plot a pin down where they are at and can have a link to their profile here if someone clicks on their pin.

Privacy doesn't need to be an issue, just plop your pin down in your city/town center so people will get the jist of where you live.

Last edited:

lollypop

Reaction score
I'm sure there used to be a world pin map showing all users on here, once upon a time :rolleyes:

Don't know what happened to it. ( or if it was my complete imagination) can't rember if it was linked from having your town in your little box thingy on your posts ( technical I'm not :D)

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I'm sure there used to be a world pin map showing all users on here, once upon a time :rolleyes:

Don't know what happened to it. ( or if it was my complete imagination) can't rember if it was linked from having your town in your little box thingy on your posts ( technical I'm not :D)

Yep! That's what I was the thinking :) At the very least it would be neat to see where all our members are from.

KingCanon

Reaction score
I've started a thread that follows a similar line of thought.

Basically a local social network. A way to meet who's around you, expanding friends, knowledge and it can provide the support network for when we need it. It's not just about finding out where we all are it's those who want to meet those around them. I'm still trying to work out HOW to do it lol but I'll find away.

Sent from the comfort of my throne room

AxieMum

Reaction score
Ohhhhh this is good!! I have left my axies with my friends and their tanks always come back filled with uneaten food :-(
I live in Hertfordshire; to be specific, St Albans. Seems to be plenty of people nearby, Hatfield, Luton, London etc.

Sam77

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in Gosport, near Portsmouth on the south coast. I would love to know of anyone nearby that I can bug for advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1