Question: Live Daphnia. where do i get it?

Lincolnsmommy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive finally taken the plunge and ordered my new baby axies. I have my tank, hidy holes, thermometer, solution, testing sticks, sand and everything i need. I collect them next Wednesday. Only problem is i cant find where to buy the live daphnia for them. There only babies so need the live stuff really. Ive tried different pet shops with no luck. Im in the essex area or can get them from around bromsgrove/redditch. Ive tried ordering some on ebay but theres a problem with there account so thats no good either.

thanks in advance

Hi.. Swallows in Rayleigh (Essex) and their other store called Mill Race near Colchester generally have deliveries of live Daphnia on a Friday, plus Bloodworms etc.... I would phone first to make sure they have some in stock..Hope this will help you

Hi.. Swallows in Rayleigh (Essex) and their other store called Mill Race near Colchester generally have deliveries of live Daphnia on a Friday, plus Bloodworms etc.... I would phone first to make sure they have some in stock..Hope this will help you

Thanks Jean. Cant wait to collect them from you Wednesday. ill try them shops to see if i have any luck. Thanks for all your help :)

How big are the babies and have they developed their back legs? If they have got back legs you will not need to use daphnia (shop bought daphnia can work out expensive and the supply unreliable) try frozen bloodwprm instead. If the babies are still on livefood set up a BBS hatchery, or ask your supplier to wait till they are on frozen bloodworm. Feeding live food can cause problems if you dont grow your own as a break in supply can kill your babies.

Hi Ian.... These axies are now 2.5 inches and have their arms and legs and eating bloodworm etc.. We have now made contact as I did not recognise the name on the listing as the lady who is collecting these axies from me next week :)

At 2.5 inches, they're well past daphnia. I would be starting them on chunks of earthworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back