Unhappy boy since moving to larger tank

Zookeeper

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm concerned as my boy Zorro does not seem like his new tank. He has been hiding in his hidy log and won't come out. Normally he is very active at night but not tonight. I moved him into the new tank yesterday and he seemed to adjust well was active last night and ate well. But silly me wasn't happy with the tank set up so made some changes today and now Zorro is not happy. Should I just leave him and see how he goes or move him back to his old tank which he had outgrown, hence the move to a 3ft tank.

Without knowing what the tank is like, it´s impossible to tell. How big is it? What´s the temp? Is it fully cycled?
If water chemistry is correct and the other paramtres too, then i see no reason for any concern. Hiding and not moving for hours on end is something caudates do very well. Some individuals react by being very active and exploring every inch when put in a new environment, others do what your animal seems to be doing.

zorro is 3 years old and I've had him for just over 2 years. all the tank temp and conditions are okay. Just checked on him and his tails not curled and gills are fine and he lifted his head to watch me as I moved along the tank. I'm probably overreacting as normally at night he is very active and moves along the front of his tank watching me and what's happening in the room. It's also the time that I normally fed him but have elected not to tonight to avoid having the food sit there overnight.

Give him some time to adjust.

Thanks guys, sat up until midnight and Zorro decided to come out and go exploring. When I set up the bigger tank I had decided to have half large river rocks and half sand and had put a PVC pipe in each surface. He had been in the pipe on the river rocks and when he came out headed towards the sand area. His previous tank had been all sand and I noticed last night that when he went on the rocks he freaked out and hurried back towards the familiar sand. He is active this morning but still wary of the rocks. I think he just needs time to get used to his new surroundings.

He probz need time to settle in mines been week and still very jumpy

Time is golden lol

Good news Zorro is back to his normal self eagerly ate all his food and happy sitting at the front of his tank watching everyone. I'm one very happy axie lover.:happy:

Thats good news :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back