Axolotl Juvie Mystery Death

esn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Elena
I need help solving a mystery.

I had a small runt of a juvie in a Sterilite (food grade) container of dechlorinated water. That I have always used for only axolotls. Previously my adult axolotl was in it for transporting. I washed it out with very hot water and placed the juvie in it, where I use the same practices for that container as I do for juvie's containers right next to it. Four nights ago I put blackworms in and forgot about them, (but they're usually gone overnight). The blackworms had died in the container overnight, and that was weird, as I keep the blackworms in another container and clean them out regularly. I took the juvie out, who was a bit red at the gills, and thoroughly cleaned the container with very hot water before replacing the cold dechlorinated water and putting him in again.

He was fine. Ate regularly, swam around, etc. Up until now. An hour ago I went in, checked on him and the others, saw he was swimming and trying to poo, and put some blackworms in. I came in an hour later (only an hour!) and found the blackworms to be all dead, as well as the juvie. The juvie died mid-poo, with a little more of it out than I had seen when I came in last. The juvie has small white bumps along his tail and a flap of skin coming off of his belly. I put more live blackworms in to see what happens, and they began to die only a few minutes after touching the water.

This is absolutely insane. Every other animal I keep that eats the blackworms (fish, ADF, floating frogs, fire belly newt, and two other juvies) are fine, and their blackworms in their container are alive. The juvies right next to it that get the same dechlorinated water are perfect and active. Temperature is fine, under 70 degrees, I suck out all the bad stuff with a turkey baster multiple times a day, and change the water every other day (it's a full 6liter tub). I spoke to the breeder I bought it from, and we can't come to a conclusion about it.

I intend to completely scrap the container and all of my blackworms, since I have no idea what might have caused it.

Is there anybody that can solve this mystery? I am attaching pictures of the dead axolotl baby, who is now 3 months old. Also, the red color is mostly the pics. It was actually very pale.

Sorry: I meant this to go in the sick axie thread. I mis-clicked.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 9,281
Last edited:
I moved your thread; hopefully it'll get some hits.

Very strange though. I've never heard of something like that. I mean, it would seem like the container was contaminated, but if you've washed it twice...

Accidental chemical contamination ? Have you tested the black worms in the same water source but a different container? that would rule out your water supply, i assume you were doing high % water changes with that little guy, partial water changes on your larger tanks may not have the same impact on your other pets if the problem was the water. Hope you find what the problem was.

Whelp, I threw out the container and the blackworms just in case. But the problem is, the blackworms kept dying in the juvies' container, and not the other juvie containers or the frog tanks. The blackworms were kept in the same water source, and I assure you my water is perfectly fine, as all my tanks use it. There had to be something wrong with the container, and I can't figure out what. I decided to just trash it, and not bother with using it again. It's just weird that I washed it, and no chemical had gotten into it before that anyway. I don't use sprays or cleaners near anything near my tanks, or in the tank room at all.

It's just absolutely bizarre. I wonder if the container was defective and not as food-grade as the company says it is? Who knows.

Is there any chance someone else in the house used it for cleaning or something? I had a friend put plant fertilizer in my koolaid pitcher to water plants once while I was on vacation, had to throw it out.

No. I live on my own, and am only visiting the family for winter break. The juvie has been in the tub since I got here, so there is absolutely no chance of anyone else using the tub.

Could it have been subjected to heat, or something that might have caused some kind of leaching if the plastic?

:confused: that's really bazaar, and sad, I think I would have done the same and got rid of it.

No heat. As I said, I do regular water changes and keep two other juvies in the same exact conditions. The water is, as I said, under 70 degrees.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back