Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Copper Question

Jeroen Spobeck

Reaction score
Last edited:

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Coppers have red eyes because they are a form of albino. Anything without red eyes is something else.

dad of axle

Reaction score
So what type do you think Axle is ? is Golden albino and copper really the same thing? male or female.JPG

Attachments

• 1322478827382.JPG
    1322478827382.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those both look like wildtypes to me. I don't see anything that suggests copper. With Coppers, the 'brown' is more tan, and the black spots are much lighter. They kind of have a pinkish undertone, and obviously, red eyes.

Golden albinos are not the same as coppers. While nobody has worked out the exact genetics of coppers, many people now consider them to be Tyrosinase positive (T+) albinos, akin to 'caramel albino' or 'lavender albino' snakes.

Shaun6685

Reaction score
As an owner of a copper, I can definitely say that the first picture isn't one of them. The one in the second picture does look like a copper, but the color seems a bit off. They really are more of a caramel color. As far as the eye color, it's hard to tell from those pictures. My copper looks like it has black eyes until you see them in them in proper lighting, then it becomes obvious they are red. Even at that you usually only have a few seconds before they decide that they hate the light and take a nose dive into the nearest plant.

Newtility

Reaction score
Too much guessing here and little facts about the copper axolotl. The copper in the USA come from my stock. All copper have normal eyes, they are not an albinotic form in any way. They do not pop out from normal strains of axolotls. I suspect them to possibly be a morph caused by breeding in another neoenic species as copper are healthy and strong when bred pure but weak and sensitive when bred with regular axolotl. Some in germany say they have liver problems, mine never had, and I had hundreds of them so far. Same as with the andersoni of which I raised several hundreds and never had a single morphed specimen. Not even in some thousand axolotl I raised. These problems from my perspective generate from inappropriate food and feeding. The pellets I use for all my Ambystoma are obviously the ideal nutrition and never activate metamorphosis.

In another thread on this forum I saw a lot of false statements and gossip and particularly that video doesn´t show copper but some form of albino. Even the Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center does not have copper axolotl and never had them before. The ones Jay has now are the very first and were shipped by me.

Neil C

Reaction score
Seems strange that even Jay calls them albinos. I agree it's weird that the exact apperance of the the european Copper is surrounded in mystery but that doesn't mean that they can't have appeared from normal axolotls. Some of the photos Jay posted of the ones you sent to him appear to have the red albino eyes? I understand that alot is still unknown about Coppers but your speculation is no more valid than what is posted in many topics on here. I was led to believe the the Coppers in Europe lay white eggs. Is this not the sign of an albino?

What do you make of the Coppers/Olives available in Australia? These do appear slightly different to the European variety. I think it's almost impossible for these to be hybrids as the availabilty of other salamanders in Australia is very strictly controlled.

Until genetics tests are carried out on any of these animals then I'm afraid what anyone posts is at the best going to be a guess.

Regards Neil

Last edited:

orion

Reaction score
Quote:Yes Bill they are a mutation.A type of albino.

so what it it albino or not?:dizzy:

Jeroen Spobeck

Reaction score
The animal above came out of one of the eggs, off the other picture i posted. But her eyes are totaly black. I think the collor of the eyes is somehow not relevant.

Last edited:

yellowpebble

Reaction score
They must be albinos, my copper produced over half albino babies when bred to a wildtype. Copper x regular albinos only produce albinos and coppers. Plus coppers produce white eggs. I found it interesting that "axolotl book" everyone references here printed in the 70s with the cow spot axie on the cover even states the existence of tan coloured albino axolotls, I’ll try to scan the page tonight.

They are common in Australia and lots of us have bred them. To me the second picture looks like a copper, but the first a light wildtype, but you said thats just because its been treated with Methylene blue. I think its because of the noticeable tan colour. The most confusing part about coppers is that they do have dark eyes. They are vary very dark red, not like a normal albino which has pink. Most of the time the red is so dark it can hardly be called red, the best way to check is to shine a torch right at the pupil, and it should shine a deep maroon colour. or breed it, if it produces white eggs, its a copper, or if it produces the right ratio of albino offspring, its a copper.

another distinguishing feature i have found also is the very large gold ring around there eyes. The shiny ring seems to be more dominant in their eyes compared to wild types, with only a little dark pupil in the middle. The ring is large and a very shiny gold or silvery colour. It looks like the axie in the photo has this but its hard to tell from the angle.

Jeroen Spobeck

Reaction score
It hase to be a copper because she came from the same person with the white eggs i posted.

6715192699_cd115bb725_b.jpg

Here is an other picture from an animal from the same parents. http://www.axolotl-online-bildereck...Claudia/Axolotl/2009-11-21_21.11.2009_045.JPG You see the more open ereas on the leggs of the blue animal. I espact they will be just like those as from the other picture. I think thats wat Kaysie discribed.

6715194495_697098f39e_b.jpg

6715200635_9a61e83534_b.jpg

6715198525_101b2e90f8_b.jpg

It would take some time before the blue is vanished. But i will take some new pictures when she has here amazing collor back again. :rolleyes:

jeneral

Reaction score
All copper have normal eyes, they are not an albinotic form in any way.

Since you are obviously familiar with the copper axolotls, can you tell me what colour this one is? I re-homed it from a friend who said it is a rare olive colour but I haven't heard anyone else refer to an olive colour so I am now wondering if it is a copper. Unless I am not looking close enough, she doesn't have albino eyes so she may not be copper but I would love to know once and for all what colour she is.

Also, what colour eggs can I expect from her? I have just found my second lot of white eggs in the last 2 months and I just assumed my albino had layer them both as I only have one albino and I would expect black eggs from this brown one. I have 3 females in with 1 male so its hard to tell who layer which eggs.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

PS. before I get the kind replies about the gravel, I should say they are not longer on the gravel :happy:

Attachments

• photo 2-2.JPG
    photo 2-2.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 731
  • photo 3-2.JPG
    photo 3-2.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 887
  • photo 1-2.JPG
    photo 1-2.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,041

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This thread makes me so sad....
I really wish you hadn´t revived it, Jenna.

jeneral

Reaction score
This thread makes me so sad....
I really wish you hadn´t revived it, Jenna.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise there was anything wrong with it. I was just searching for threads about copper colours and thought given some of the comments on this one, someone might be able to help me identify the colour of my axolotl.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No, no, it´s alright, Jenna, i realise you are just trying to get some info. It´s not your fault that the thread is an ode to inanity.

jeneral

Reaction score
Lol, I just scrolled back to the top and re-read the page and I must have missed a huge chunk of convo in the centre there on my first pass by. It seems no one can agree on what a copper looks.

Lady Rassilon

Reaction score
Either way, Jenna, your axolotl is beautiful!

I am looking for a (preferably male) copper axie in Melbourne.
I am hope that I can find one as beautiful as your female there!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1