The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 5th January 2012   #1
Senad
(Red Eft14)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Red Eft14 has started on the right path
Default Using leaves from outside?

I heard that people take leaves from outside and put it in there newts tank.I want to know how to make the leaves safe for my newts.And I don't plan on putting the leaves in water since the water will turn brown.Just going to put it in when my newts are in the terrestrial stage.Thanks.

Red Eft14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Using leaves from outside?

A lot of people do this. I do this. I just grab up dry ones and put them in the tank. If there are no pesticides being used in the area and they look OK, that's my criteria. Maybe others have other criteria and can add.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012   #3
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I freeze leaves for 48 hours prior to use, but that´s the only meassure i take.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012   #4
Coastal Groovin
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

You could dip them into some boiling salt water for about 20 seconds then rinse and dry.

Old 7th January 2012   #5
Senad
(Red Eft14)

Nationality:

Ok thanks for the help.But I rather treat them because my trees in front of my house are sparyed every spring/summer.

Old 7th January 2012   #6
Cassie
(nwmnnaturalist)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 0
Rep: nwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Honestly, I wouldn't risk using leaves that are sprayed with chemicals, even if you treat them. Amphibians are extremely sensitive to chemicals, especially pesticides and herbicides. It is best to go find some leaves somewhere that chemicals haven't been used.

nwmnnaturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012   #7
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I use Dawns method, grab a pile and put it in the tank.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012   #8
Coastal Groovin
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

You won't be able to wash off the chemicals. Go collect them from the woods or local park were they do not spray.

Old 8th January 2012   #9
Senad
(Red Eft14)

Nationality:

Yeah I live no wear near the woods but I'll buy some leaves at the reptile expo when I go(since they got leaf litter for posien dart frogs).Thanks for the help though.

Old 8th January 2012   #10
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I use willow leaves from tall willow bushes around my house. The species are Salix lanata, Salix pulchra and Salix glauca. I collect them in winter when they are dry and frozen. I use them in all my terrestrial setups for newts, earthworms, isopods, and white worms. They do really well and the substrates stay healthy, alive and a-crawl with small critters for a long long time...