ASAP need help sirens and tankmates???

Cecilia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello guys i just got an interesting phone call about acquiring a new siren....this guy has dwarf sirens as well as the greater sirens for sale....he only has a couple of each left and expects they will be gone by tomorrow.....i always hate to rush to buy anything but to ever find sirens here is impossible. I have axolotls in one tank, bichirs and ropefish in another, i was just wondering can sirens go safely with anything....or should i just divide the tank for now until i can get anything else to put him in???Any information on these curious creatures will help;)

No way. Greater sirens are voracious feeders. They would shred anything. Go get a couple rubbermaid tubs and fill 'em up with water and make some temporary setups.

I am looking at the lesser sirens...would this still be an issue???I breed axies so i have tons of big rubbermaids so thats not an issue either

Lesser Sirens have the same aggression issues. Your bichirs depending on size might be ok but its definitly a big risk for both the bichirs and the sirens. Lesser sirens still grown to 2 feet and will try to eat anything and everything that is not nailed down. The defensive spines on a bichir is what scares me most. Dwarf sirens will just be an expensive meal to an axie, rope fish or birchir. Nothing good can come from mixing African fish with North American aquatic salamanders. If you keep sirens in a tupperware make sureyou have a tight lid or they will end up dried up and dead in a corner somewhere. They have been know to escape.

Last edited:
Thanks guys..tupperware it is

A tank divider may also work temporarily...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back