Noto v. d. Questions

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
Can these be legally collected an taken out of the states of North/South Carolina? I woul love to have some add to my amphibian family. Would these be able to be housed with Noto v. v? Can these interbreed with Noto v. v? Personally, I would prefer captive bred, but I haven't seen any on here for sale.

You would have to check each state's Department of Fish and Wildlife to see what their regulations are.

As far as housing them with N.v.v.... I'm sure you could, but that doesn't mean you should. They would also probably breed (they are the same species, after all), but I don't think that would be a good idea either.

I tried checking North Carolina's website. The only amphibian listed was a fr in the wildlife section. It seemed a little... Lackluster. Maybe I wasn't on the right site. Why would it be a bad idea to breed them or house them together?

It would be a bad idea because they are different subspecies, and most people in the hobby would agree that it's best to keep the different subspecies separate.

Besides, what would be the point of going all the way to North Carolina to get N.v.d. and then just breeding them with N.v.v.? I would think that if you went out of your way to get this particular subspecies, you would want to keep them because they are unique.

Well yes, I would like to keep them because they are unique. I'm just interested about what they babies would look like. I'm interested in those sort of things I guess. But if they are subspecies, shouldn't they be ok to house together? I mean, it's different than housing two different species. I don't see why it would be such a problem, since they are essentially the same species but just minute differences.

I'm no expert or anything, but I don't see how keeping two different subspecies together or even breeding them would be a bad idea. Why would most people in the hobby be against it? Again, not an expert, but I see no reason to be against it.

They would be your newts and you could do whatever you want with them. But because the two populations are genetically (and morphologically) distinct most members here would probably recommend not interbreeding them.

Personally, I would find it annoying because both N.v.v. and N.v.d. are so rarely bred in captivity anyway. Why would someone want to focus on making crosses when we can't even offer CB animals? The other issue for me would be if you ever wanted to get rid of any of the offspring? You might be honest about the fact that they are mixed, but would the person who next sells them be as honest? If I ever wanted to add a new animal to my collection, I wouldn't want to accidentally get a cross.

^ This. Does more harm then good in my opinion, but it's just my opinion.

I see your concern there. I would love to help to increase the number of CB sold, but in my state, certain native species are not allowe to be legally sold, even if they are CB. I find it quite a silly rule personally. This is a side question so I don't have to make a new thread, how many notos can comfortably be kept in a 20 gallon long tank? I just got it today and gave my current 3 a well deserved tank size update.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back