Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Mouth sore

Sassybrat1986

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to owning axolotls. I have 2 juveniles that I got about 2 weeks ago. I noticed when I was feeding them Friday that the bigger one nipped the smaller one in the face when going for the food. There have been no signs of agression between them since I got them so I think it was accidental. Now, yesterday I found the littler one has what appears to be a sore on her mouth with possibly torn flesh. I also noticed patchy spots on her as well. This morning I checked on them and the smaller one looks horrible. Her mouth look fuzzy and swollen and she is covered in white patchy spots. I don't know what to do. She looked fine 3 days ago and now she looks awful. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Sassybrat1986

Reaction score
I also want to say I did remove the littler one into a different tank. Here are pictures I was going to post but my computer wouldn't let me at that moment for some reason. Her mouth kind of looks like she ate a cotton ball. I just feel horrible and don't know what happened.

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpg
    IMG_5303.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,042
  • IMG_5304.jpg
    IMG_5304.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_5305.jpg
    IMG_5305.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,358

Sassybrat1986

Reaction score
Just an update, the little one didnt make it. She wasnt looking good this morning and then when I looked later she was gone. I feel bad, and it happened so fast.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1