Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bruised :(

beats182

Reaction score
So I went away on holidays for 1 week and left my older brother in charge of my beautiful Axolotl Galileo while we were gone. I get back to find that Galileo has quite large bruises on his face and tail and his back foot looks as though it has been caught in something and bits are missing from his leg. He is now floating up the top of his tank and he looks very swollen and unwell:(:( I have no idea what it could be, he can't have gotten caught in anything and he has very little ornaments in his tank, just some grass and a small rock. He has feeder fish in there with him but they couldn't have bit him could they? Some in sight to this would be nice. And is there anything I should do to ensure that Galileo is ok?

Last edited:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you post some pictures? And here is a list of questions. What type of feeder fish are they? What is the tank temperature and what are the readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite ?
For the time being, keep your axolotl in clean, cool dechlorinated water and watch out for fungus.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Feeder fish have been known to pick on Axolotls at times (particularly, they like to nibble on the gill filaments) But, I don't think the bruises would have been from them. Does there appear to be any fuzzy bits(fungus) on your Axolotl?

What are your water parameters? Temperature, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are most important. If you don't have a testing kit I'd suggest getting one asap.

Finally, a picture is always helpful.

Edit: Bellabelloo beat me to it X)!

beats182

Reaction score
Galileo just passed away. He was floating on his back for his last moments and on his tummy he had a black spot that looked as though he had internal bleeding. It sucks because he was probably the coolest little fishy ever. :(. It just makes me really sad to think that he suffered :'( I honestly can't think of what happened to him.

Last edited:

beats182

Reaction score
And there was no fungus, his tank was correct temperature and everything.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that he passed :( I loved his name, though.

What kind of feeder fish did you have (or any other tank-mates)?
What kind of substrate did you use? Sand, Rocks, bare-bottom?

You said your tank was fine, did you test for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?

If you can pinpoint the problem, you can always fix that and prepare for a new little buddy ^.^

It could also be possible that it was just a genetic defect and was beyond your control.

beats182

Reaction score
It was a fairly cool name, and I find that on this site many Axolotl owners name their pets fairly unusual names, I love it.

We had a bare bottom tank. Not 100% sure on the the kind of feeder fish and as he was a new addition to the family (got him for christmas) he had no tank mates. He was a cool little fishy and will be very much missed.

Dakkagor

Reaction score
I know this may sound like an accusation, but did your brother remove him from the water, or handle him with his hands? Axolotls may look like they can be handled like a normal lizard or amphibian, but they can really suffer if handled roughly out of water. I lost three that way to an other-enthusiastic toddler :( . Your brother may not have known that and may have unintentionally killed Galileo.

My Lottie

Reaction score
Hey fellow aussie... real sorry to read your last post:( ..... I have had a heap of worries with my Lottie, and I seem to be back on track now, thank goodness !!:rolleyes:

Bruising does suggest trauma.. possibly dropping/squeezing, maybe??? :confused:

If you get another axie, may I suggest using "white clouds" (check on google)...as they do NOT nibble on your axies frills !!! Pet shop should have them.... I have an outside pond, and they just breed and live there... real easy to keep...look pretty too !!

Best of luck, and let us know if you get another axie !!:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1