Help! Axolotl cut herself and stomachs hanging out!

chuckie127

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got home, and my axolotl has cut herself, her stomach/insides are hanging out, is there anything i can do :( :'( help fast!

I noticed no one has offered any ideas! I don't know what I'd do for sure but if I couldn't go to the vet I'd stuff the stomach back in and tie a piece of gauze (or a small strip of cotton fabric around it if I had no gauze) around it if I could to keep it together and hope it'd heal. :( Probably it would end up with an infection and die but they do have amazing powers of healing. Good luck!!! I hope someone else comes up with better advice!

That was my advice too. That's a serious injury and needs veterinary care.

managed to pack it back inside, :) and she seems to be ok now, walking, swimming :) just got a cut, im giving her baths and keeping her cold :) x

managed to pack it back inside, :) and she seems to be ok now, walking, swimming :) just got a cut, im giving her baths and keeping her cold :) x

Hello,

If it really was the insides hanging out, this animal needs veterinary attention. Urgently. Please get her to a vet as soon as possible.

I hope you can get her sorted out.

Bruce.

Do you know what she cut herself on?

I hope she has a smooth recovery, please keep us updated.

did you take axie to vet? or find out what caused injury? don't want to bombard you but everyone is here to help!

shes on the mend, i took her to the vets they said she had no hope, so i took her home and managed to get the intestine back inside using a q-tip, and shes healing now, i dont actually know how it happened D: i came home, was sorting the dogs and then suddenly i heard a bang from upstairs the tank had shattered and she was on the floor with the cut. but shes healing good now :) just keeping an eye out for fungus :)

I hope she heals. That's rather gruesome. Good on you for at least trying something. Vets can't always be right. Maybe your axie could be a miracle axie.

I want to know too, hope she is getting better :)

I despise glass heaters for this very reason. Not saying that was the cause since i don't have a heater in my axolotl tank, and I'm assuming most don't, but that's one of the quickest causes to a shattered tank. Keep her cool and keep bathing her! Hoping for the best and a speedy recovery!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back