Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N.Crocatus set up.

Davo

Reaction score
I received some c.b Crocatus juvs from Gersfeld at the end of last year. They are growing well and are kept in a realy useful tub with plenty of ventilation. Substrate is peat free multi purpose compost mixed 50-50 with coco fibre. A small water bowl and moss is kept at the damp end, with a cork bark stack that has a damp and drier area. They seem to like it a bit damper than Kaiseri but other than that they are kept the same. They are eating 2nd crickets dusted with nutrabol, lesser waxworm larvae and tropical woodlice.
They dont seem that bothered about earthworms or live bloodworm. They are kept at room temperature.
The markings and colour are stunning, the photos dont do them justice. They are fast becoming one of my favourites! :happy:

Attachments

• DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 720
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 594
  • DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 814
  • DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 634
  • DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 993
  • DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 752

Linus

Reaction score
I'm so jealous! Can't wait for these to be available in the US. You keep kaiseri also?

benw

Reaction score
They are looking really good , Martin.
Good to see,

Ben

RobM

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have too many of these Martin. I would be glad to help and take some off your hands! :eek:

I've always found my Kaiseri to be less than interested in Bloodworms (earthworms being a different matter), perhaps its not a very natural sort of prey type for most Neurergus species.

How bold have they been?

Davo

Reaction score
Hi Linus, yes i also keep Kaiseri, i have bred them for the last 2 years, i have kept 15 back and have recently got some juvs from 2 other bloodlines for future breeding. :happy:

Hi Rob, they are similar to Kaiseri to keep, mostly hide away in the cork bark stack, when you move the bark to check on them they will eat in front of you no problem, i cant wait to see the in the aquatic stage, a few years yet! As for too many, there are 15 of them but some of them are a good friends who is letting me rear them up so that we get a good mix of males and females for future breeding, fingers crossed! :happy:

Cheers, Martin.

Davo

Reaction score
As terrstrial juvs they are pretty much the same, hiding away in the cork bark stack by day and hunting by night, they will feed in the day as do Kaiseri, but mostly active after dark.
I am not sure if they can be raised aquatic like Kaiseri and Strauchii, i dont know that much about how other people are raising them, maybe if they are bred in the future different rearing methods will be tried and like the Kaiseri and Strauchii the most successful methods will be adopted and start to produce juvs.
I have a magazine that is in German (i dont speak German) but it has photographs of adult Crocatus and they are quite a large newt, certainly a lot bigger than Kaiseri.
If anybody else is keeping Crocatus maybe they could add any tips or rearing methods on this thread?

methodik

Reaction score
Hello Martin,

I just wanted to let you know, that if you want to know what the article says, I would be glad to help you with a translation, as I keep N. strauchii barani but am also interested in crocatus and derjugini.

If you didn't already use google translate or similar and would like me to translate (also good exercise for me), just PM me.

Davo

Reaction score
Hi Jakob,
Thanks for the offer, the magazine is at a friends who is getting it tranlated, if the translation has any usefull information on keeping or breeding Crocatus i will add it on this thread.
If the translation is not completed i will take up your kind offer. :happy:

Autum

Banned
Reaction score
I love your setup! I love crocatus as well. I would love a group some day.

Jaku

Reaction score
Hi Jakob,
Thanks for the offer, the magazine is at a friends who is getting it tranlated, if the translation has any usefull information on keeping or breeding Crocatus i will add it on this thread.
If the translation is not completed i will take up your kind offer. :happy:

Congrats Martin! they are gorgeous.

Is that magazine already traslated? any useful info about them?

I have the possibility to buy 3 CB N.crocatus (around 8 cm) but I've read they dead suddenly when subadults, any new info about that? did that happen with F1 or also with F2, F3, etc...?

I whish you the best of luck with them.

Davo

Reaction score
The magazine is still at my friends who has been out of the country, so it is not yet translated. :(

I have read the article about the losses as the mature, i read it on the salamanderland website, this was over 10 years ago and since then others have bred them and there seem to be more captive bred juvs about.
Mine are growing very well, i will take some updated photos over the next week or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1