Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blowing air bubbles

Chicabelle

Reaction score
Hi,

I've only had my axolotls a few days but I've noticed one swims to the top of the tank maybe once or twice and hour and blows a big air bubble. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the tank? The other one doesn't do it, or if it does i've never seen it.

Thanks

danchristopher

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it. They have rudimentary lungs and sometimes like to take down a gulp of air so they swim to the surface to do so. If your tank is newly setup and it's happening quite frequently then it's possible there's a problem with the water quality so you should make sure that's all in check.

One of my axies has stubby gills from being treated badly at a pet store so she tends to swim up and gulp air a little more often than the others.

Chicabelle

Reaction score
Thanks, the tank was set up about 10 days before I put them in so I'm hoping it's okay. :(

danchristopher

Reaction score
You should probably invest in a water testing kit to keep an eye on the parameters. The ones you are concerned with are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Axolotls will excrete a fair amount of waste and your tank will be in the process of cycling. If you don't know what that is then you can look at this article: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

If your tank is cycling you will need to do daily water changes of around 15-20% to bring down the ammonia levels which can be toxic to your axies. It can take around a 4-6 weeks for a tank to fully cycle and you'll have to monitor it closely while it does so, otherwise you might find yourself with some sick lotls on your hands which is never fun! If you have other questions you can use the search tool as there is plenty of useful info around these forums, otherwise you can always ask and someone will try to help :D

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Do you have a filter for your tank? Something that flows enough to oxygenate the water?

Since you said only one of your Axies are doing it, it could be that he prefers the taste of air for his oxygen needs :)

iheartaxie

Reaction score
I agree with Dan, I have had my two juvies for only two weeks and they both were doing this, I'd set up my tank for a few weeks prior and tested the water frequently but once it was perfect for a few days I stopped doing this, stupidly. My axies were doing the same thing as yours and when i thought to check the water again the nitrate levels had risen a little. So check, but I wouldn't worry about it if the water is fine; one of my axies still does it now and again :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1