The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 28th January 2012   #1
Chicabelle

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chicabelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is warm or cold best?

My tank is naturally about 14-15C (about 57F) but it does often drop a bit colder over night. I thought this was a little cold so I bought an aquarium heater only to find the lowest temperature it will do is 20C. Is it better to leave the tank without the heater (slightly colder than recommended) or add the heater and keep it at a constant 20C? At the current temp my to little ones are a bit dormant to say the least!

Chicabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012   #2
Dan
(danchristopher)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: danchristopher has given consistently good advice and informationdanchristopher has given consistently good advice and informationdanchristopher has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Is warm or cold best?

They are naturally dormant anyway and will spend hours sitting in the same spot. My advice would be to not add the heater. If you really wish to keep a more constant temp, find a heater than can go down to something more like 16 degrees which would suit them better. They thrive in cool waters, 14-15 degrees sounds perfect actually. In nature they would experience temperature drops at night anyway so it is totally normal.

danchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012   #3
GazerOfStars
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 7
Rep: GazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledgeGazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledge

I agree with Dan here. In fact people tend to worry more when there tanks get too warm rather than cold!

If 20 c is the lowestet your heater will go you should avoid using it. Your Axies will be fine as long as it doesn't get close to freezing! :P

Old 28th January 2012   #4
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Mid-50's is no problem at all for these guys. I've had ice skim my tanks with no problem.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012   #5
Dakkagor

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Dakkagor is an unknown quantity at this point

have to agree, they do alot beter in cold water than warm. My tank temperatures are about the same and the little monsters seem fine.