Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Minimum Width for Escape Proof Tank Rim

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have an old Pemco tank that I have never found an escape proof, tight fitting lid for so I decided to make some rims out of material I already have around the house. The front and back ledges will be 4 inches wide, but the "ends" will be just 2.5 inches wide. The Preventing Escapes article mentions using duct tape in a pinch, and my duct tape is only 2 inches wide so that made me feel a little more confident but I wanted to know if anyone has experienced escapes because ledges/rims were too narrow - and what the dimensions of those ledges/rims were.
I have made ledges before but the finished product was 4 inches on all sides (I think the 4 inch wide glass that I have been using for the current project must be left over from that project).
Thanks for any comments and tips,
Heather

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My hunch is that 2.5 inches should be more than wide enough. I have not had any escapes using 2-inch duct tape (making a rim of about 1.5 inches when stuck on).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!