Raising Newt Efts fully aquatic

Kribby

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Kim
After reading a few posts around the forum from people keeping their newt efts fully aquatic I decided to plunge in and give it a try. I'd been trying to raise them terrestrial, on moist paper towels, and feeding them bloodworms- but some of the would go on eating strikes or have random sudden deaths.

So I read how Tudor accomplished this and I think I am doing alright. None of the newts have passed away over the past week and they all seem to be eating well and shedding. I vacuum the tank every day and change about 75% of the water to keep it clean since I don't have a sponge filter. I am hoping that I will be able to find a small internal filter to place in the tank soon.

I am pleased though, they seem to be adjusting to their new aquatic life quite nicely. I was worried initially that they wouldn't know how to survive. Especially since they have spent the last 6 months on land, but they seem to enjoy swimming around and sitting on the plants.

That's very interesting. Could you post a photo of the set up? How deep is the water and are plants the only "land" they have? And what about feeding - did they start feeding on the bottom of the tank without problems?

I would not use a filter for them. If the adults dislike currents, the juveniles bloody hate them.
It also seems unnecessary to change that much water daily, but that is less of a concern.
Could you take a picture of the tank?

I would not use a filter for them. If the adults dislike currents, the juveniles bloody hate them.
It also seems unnecessary to change that much water daily, but that is less of a concern.
Could you take a picture of the tank?

The tank is only a 10 gallon for about 40 efts and while they are all under 2 inches long I'd rather err on the side of caution and change more water than needed rather than have ammonia issues later on. Especially since they are only in about 2.5 gallons of water.

Here is the setup, as you can see they are mostly chilling in the floating plants
kribby-albums-kribby-s-newts-picture20689-102-8408.jpg

kribby-albums-kribby-s-newts-picture20690-102-8411.jpg

A couple seem to try and escape regularly... so I just nudge them gently back down when I see them.
kribby-albums-kribby-s-newts-picture20691-102-8412.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back