Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Please help!!!!!

Yuuki2010

Reaction score
Hi Everyone i really need some help last night my Axolotl (Dracula) was what we call "throwing" his rocks around usually he does it with his tail but last night i heard him do a particularly large crash and went to check and there was 3 large pools of blood and he was bleeding from his right gills i have no idea what he's done has he busted a vein or something??? i removed him from the tank and put him in a large container of cold water and stayed up all night to keep an eye on him he accidentally put his foot in his gill at one point and it started bleeding again but stopped quite quickly that was at 3.30 am (Australia time) about 2.5 hours ago we had to change containers cuz he pooped and was making a mess and as we picked him up (he was brought up with hands we hand feed him) he flipped out and his gill started bleeding again... i don't know what to do or whats wrong if anyone has ANY ideas it would be greatly appreciated my partner and i are very worried... thank you

iheartaxie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your axie is in a bad shape but I think he should be ok. I'm new to this and axies, and it's hard to advise without knowing how bad the damage is...but Step One is usually fridge him. This will slow his entire body down and help the healing process. I'm also thinking that in the fridge he will be more lethargic so less likely to reopen the wound. Apart from this, keep an eye on him. Feed him as you would though he might not take it because of the cold. And don't introduce him back into the tank with any other axolotl's until he is fairly well healed as you don't want him to be nibbled on. Also, when you say rocks, how big are they?

Yuuki2010

Reaction score
We stuck him in the fridge straight away and have been keeping him in really cold water when not in the fridge. his rocks are quite large on average the size of a 20 cent piece (Australian currency) largest rocks about an inch long i tried to feed him today but he wasn't interested so i wont push him... he has the tank to himself its a 3ft tank we cleaned it out completely (emptied, scrubbed etc.) if he seems ok in tomorrow evening then we were gonna fill up his tank halfway and leave everything but his plants out and put him back in...

iheartaxie

Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing as much as you can. I really wish you good luck and hope the li'll guy makes a full recovery. I don't know how big a 20 cent piece is because I'm in the UK, but depending on the size of your axi it might be a little small (it's fine if it's bigger than his head) because rocks can be swallowed and cause impaction. Really surprising how much they can fit in their mouths. But if the rocks have caused him this injury then I think you should just remove them anyway. Let me know how Dracula gets on :).

danchristopher

Reaction score
Hi Yuuki,
20 cent piece rocks sound like they should be big enough, I've never heard of an axie being able to really throw rocks (maybe bash them around) but maybe if he throws them around a lot it might be better to remove them? Do you use them as substrate or do you have sand or something else on the bottom? I'd be worried a rock could smash your tank glass.

Having him in the fridge is probably the best place for the time being. Hopefully he will make a speedy recovery. They are pretty amazing at healing themselves, just be gentle when you have to move him - although I'm sure you are! ;)

If you've emptied and scrubbed his tank it will probably need to cycle again as beneficial bacteria live on the tanks surfaces... did you keep the filter sponges in some tank water? This would help to start the cycle quickly, otherwise you might be looking at having to wait 4-6 weeks with regular water testing and changes to make sure you don't experience ammonia spikes or anything.

Yuuki2010

Reaction score
he just has rocks, plants and a tree he hides in but were thing of removing therocks and putting sand but im unsure of what kind of sand to use or how easy it is to clean and we plan to move house soon... we usually scrub his tank out once a month including filters he is a very messy fish :p and we just fill the tank back up pop in some water ager test it and once the ph level is right pop him back in and its fine we've never had a problem :happy: i stayed up lat night as well and am pleased to report no blood :happy:

iheartaxie

Reaction score
Nearly all aquarium sand is ok, (not marine sand or sand with extras because they can often contain calcium carbonate? which is bad) But that is also quite expensive so children's play sand is a good cheap alternative. Just make sure you take out any stones because some play sands have small stones in. I know argos does it nice and cheap, fairly easy to wash properly too. Well if you haven't had a problem that way then I don't see why you should stop, I'd be tempted though to buy a water test kit just in case it is causing spikes of ammonia/nitrite etc.
That's good news, it's nice that you stayed up with him. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep if either of my babies was sick :( Fingers crossed it sounds like he's on the mend. Keep us posted on his progress :)

Yuuki2010

Reaction score
thanks for the advice on the sand :happy: we already have a water test kit to test the water before he goes in we've decided because he's been good all day we're gonna half fill his tank and put him in with just his plants and see how he goes :happy: i'll post in the morning to let you know how he's going :happy:

danchristopher

Reaction score
he just has rocks, plants and a tree he hides in but were thing of removing therocks and putting sand but im unsure of what kind of sand to use or how easy it is to clean and we plan to move house soon... we usually scrub his tank out once a month including filters he is a very messy fish :p and we just fill the tank back up pop in some water ager test it and once the ph level is right pop him back in and its fine we've never had a problem :happy: i stayed up lat night as well and am pleased to report no blood :happy:

Play sand from Bunnings, around $8 for a 20kg bag will do you fine. Just remember to rinse it really really well before putting it in your tank. Rinse it until you think the water is running clear, then rinse it some more. ;)

Yuuki2010

Reaction score
i only have a ph tester but we've never had any problems and thanks for the info on the sand i think we will definitely be pursuing that option :happy: i stayed up again last night and again no blood :happy: so he'll be going back in the tank today we set up his chiller last night and since then the water wont stay neutral it keeps dropping down into alkaline...

Ed

Reaction score
Nearly all aquarium sand is ok, (not marine sand or sand with extras because they can often contain calcium carbonate?

Other than potentially impacting pH (which it shouldn't if it has been well weathered), there shouldn't be any issues with sands that contain some calcium carbonate granules. In fact it can help buffer the water up a little since axolotls actually like water a little over a pH of 7. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Ed

Yuuki2010

Reaction score
Good news! my little man is back in his tank and doing well :happy: thank you everyone for your help and suggestions it was very much appreciated :happy:

iheartaxie

Reaction score
That's really good news. Lucky axie to have such a caring owner. Am very glad :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!