Howdy from our 4th grade classroom

gulfcoasttoad

Reaction score
Country
United States
My students collected and brought to school several gulf coast toads over the fall semester. I have taken them home in an attempt to hibernate/brumate them, as we would love to host a successful breeding this spring here in South Texas.

The 5 toads are being housed in a 40 gallon long tank with plenty of space to burrow and hide. I fed them very well until it began to get below 40F outside, when I stopped feeding and moved the tank to a room in our house that is usually pretty cool (probably low 60s) and turned the light off. The tank is next to a window, so I'm hoping the natural light cycles will help them decide to slow down.

The toads dug down and hid for a few weeks, but now they're back up, huddling together, and looking at me! They've been this way for a couple days now. We still have another month of "winter," if you can call it that in Texas. Should I continue to withhold food and warm temps?

Really comprehensive information there, Chris--thanks for that. We'll start small and slow.

Good luck! I cannot help but smile and laugh at the visual of a bunch of little toads, huddled together and staring at you with big, black eyes. That must have gotten a bit of a laugh out of you!

No need to visualize--here they are in living color!

a6934f28-6a8a-3041.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back