Illness/Sickness: Axolotls- red foot, tilting, white things?

nikkiboo

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Hey forum,
I've just noticed my juvi axolotl has been tilting on one side and it seems as though he has trouble walking. He kind of curls up sometimes and he just hides in the corner now, the water temp ranges from 18 degrees c - 20 degrees. He eats ok, less then usual but still willing to eat. I've also noticed that this tail looks more stubbed and has a tiny bit of white skin hanging off, same with his front right hands, the white stuff is basically stick like a glove which i'm guessing is what's making it hard for him to walk?
Some of the white stuff had sunk to the bottom of the tank and he's been pooping fine too. I'm very worried about him, he seems weaker and clumsy. I do water changes every week along with a filter and there are no substrates.

My other adult axie had for some reason rotted her few toes away on her right hand and foot, she eats and poops perfectly fine but the wound seems a bit red? I've put her in the fridge before but then again when i take her out after a day she seemed "dizzy" afterwards.
Please help! I'm in urgent needs. :( thank you!!!

Hey forum,
I've just noticed my juvi axolotl has been tilting on one side and it seems as though he has trouble walking. He kind of curls up sometimes and he just hides in the corner now, the water temp ranges from 18 degrees c - 20 degrees. He eats ok, less then usual but still willing to eat. I've also noticed that this tail looks more stubbed and has a tiny bit of white skin hanging off, same with his front right hands, the white stuff is basically stick like a glove which i'm guessing is what's making it hard for him to walk?
Some of the white stuff had sunk to the bottom of the tank and he's been pooping fine too. I'm very worried about him, he seems weaker and clumsy. I do water changes every week along with a filter and there are no substrates.

My other adult axie had for some reason rotted her few toes away on her right hand and foot, she eats and poops perfectly fine but the wound seems a bit red? I've put her in the fridge before but then again when i take her out after a day she seemed "dizzy" afterwards.
Please help! I'm in urgent needs. :( thank you!!!

I've had this happen before. The white stuff is fungus and can be treated wit a salt bath. I'd fridge the Axolotls until they heal up. The cause is likely due to a rough object in the tank or even bare bottom tanks can cause rawness if they're constantly moving. Fungus on the limbs or gills are the worst.

I had a pair of Axolotls that had raw hands/feet in a certain tank. Any Axolotl I tried to house in that tank ended up with raw hands/feet. Not sure how but there can be a number of reasons why. I now use sand in that tank and I don't have that problem any more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back