Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New: Tylototriton (Yaotriton) broadoridgus named from Hunan

FrogEyes

Reaction score
The isolated population of Yaotriton from Hunan; which has previously been considered T.asperrimus by morphology, but which is genetically closer to and distinct from T.wenxianensis, has been described as a new species, Tylototriton broadoridgus. It is rather inelegantly named for its broad dorsal ridge. The paper includes genetic, morphological, and ecological data, as well as comparative photos.

As I have previously suggested here, the authors have also recommended elevating T.dabienicus to full species.

Shen You-Hui, Jiang Jianping, & Mo Xiao-Yang, 2012. A New Species of the Genus Tylototriton (Amphibia, Salamandridae) from Hunan, China. Asian Herpetological Research 2012, 3(1): 21-30.

Abstract
A new species of the genus Tylototriton is described in this article based on morphological and genetic evidence. The new species is identified belonging to the T. asperrimus group and is similar to T. wenxianensis. The diagnostic characters of the new species are as follows: dorsal ridge broad and thick, its width approximately equal to eye diameter (P < 0.001); tail height greater than width at base of tail (P < 0.001); no villous genital papilla found inside the male anal fissure; nodule-like warts, along lateral margin of the trunk, bulge and forming tubercles, and thin and transverse striae present between the tubercles.

Available here in the first issue of 2012:
ahr

FrogEyes

Reaction score
With further digging, review of several recent papers concerning this group, and some additional photos posted in threads here, I have to conclude that there are at least two isolated [?] members of the T.(Y.) wenxianensis complex in Hunan (and another in Henan - T.dabienicus]:

In NW Hunan,specifically Mt. Tianping in the Wulingshan, is T.broadoridgus.

In extreme SE Hunan, specifically Mt. Mangshan, is an undescribed T.asperrimus-like member of the complex. This species appears in another thread here, and seems to lack the typical traits of the previous, and bear some passing similarity to T.(T.) taliangensis in coloration. Of course that's just one photo of one specimen, with the locality of origin unconfirmed.

However it still adds one more species to the growing list of undescribed Yaotriton. I have possibly previously confused these two species because I didn't differentiate the two distant Hunan localities, and both species had similar literature references [ie, an isolated population on a mountain in Hunan, which is a cousin to T.wenxianensis but which resembles T.asperrimus].

FrogEyes

Reaction score
In the previous post, the Mangshan location would now be T.lizhenchangi. Some photos were recently posted from Kuankuoshui, Guangxi, which appear to be T.broadoridgus. I would consider this an expected range extension to the west, to localities which have previously been included in typical T.wenxianensis or "T.asperrimus". I haven't sat down with the species descriptions to critically review my first assessment, and I have previously suggested that animals in this area could also be undescribed species. That doesn't account for how close the type locality of T.broadoridgus is to fairly continuous possible habitats in Henan, Chongqing, Sichuan, and Guangxi.

Field Herp Forum • View topic - KuanKuoShui NR, China

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!