Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help ! ! I have parasites in my tank ! ! ! ! !

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Last night I was looking at my Axolotl's more then usual till i notice a little black dot on the glass, I noticed it was a baby snail. I was like aww it is so cute.. Then I look on the other side of the tank to find more baby snails then I realized that is not right, I do not have any live plants in my tank.
Then i went back to the 1st snail i saw with a bright LED light then I saw bugs flying around ! ! They Kinda look like Daphnia ? It was hard to see with the current (Don't worry, current is not strong, very miled) Then I saw these little white worms squirming around too ! I started to freak out because I've seen those type of worms before Years back when I had a Tiger Oscar fish when I was a kid and I thought it was fun feeding him bugs from outside that I've found. I remember seeing all of those worms in his tank sticking to the glass and sticking to his body ! I remember when he would swim up to me, I would see worms crawling out of his face ! The little holes that he had in his face. It was a nightmare to see that.
I remember I bought some special medication that killed all the worms and I contstantly changed the filter. It got rid of them.
So I checked on my Black Melanoids to see if i can see these worms. I did not find ANY crawling on them. They look perfectly healthy.
I do not know how long this has been going.
These worms are as tiny as a Micro Worm. Could it be Microworms ? Could they live in water ?
I recently got my Axolotl's about 2 months ago a new 125Gallon tank Used from CL. I got a smokin' deal on it that it came with 2 canister filters.
I've seen the fish that been kept in the tank before my Axolotl's. They looked nice and Healthy.
I assume when I recieved the Canister filters, they probably carried these bugs ? I've never had any parasite issues till last night when I discovered them. I cleaned the canisters up the best I could. I did not know they would be a risk on any parasites.
I know Axolotl's can not have any type of Fish treatment/medication in their tank.
They don't seem to be bothering my big boys as of right now that I know of, I am going to keep a close eye on them.

We plan on moving in a couple months, I was thinking since I live in Arizona, When we empty out the tank, Set it outside with it less then half filled with water and let it bake under the hot sun to kill water those pesty things. I hope they will perrish under hot water/sun.

If not, is there any other way I can get rid of these things ? ? I do not want to loose my axolotl's.
I hope these worms do not care for salamanders, I hope they are not in their bodies doing damage or anything. As i've mentioned, I did not see any crawling on their face and body.

If anyone had this type of issue and has gotten rid of the bugs, please ! I would love some advice on how to get rid of them ! I love my babies so much ! !

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
As i've mentioned before, I've seen this on my Tiger Oscar fish. It was a horrible sight to see and obviously they were doing harm to him by making holes on his body.
I am tramatized byt what i've seen as a kid of the harm I created to my poor Oscar Fish. I got rid of the worms with medication and cleaning the filter pad/replace.

I also see these white little bugs, kinda look like BBS. Are those okay ? I know fish can carry nasty bugs sometimes depending on how the owner/petstore has taken care of them.
The fish i've seen that lived in the used fish tank i recently bought, They looked nice and healthy but I do not know how the owner took care of them that is the problem.

I looked through the article, only thing i see is the snails that i have. nothing about the worms or the white bugs.

What makes you think they are parasitic? A healthy aquarium is awash with micro critters: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Algae, Snails, Worms and Other Critters

Learn to love them.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is likely that these are a different kind of worm than what you had on your oscar fish. The article has one photo of typical white worms, and also clearly links to this page of other photos of various bugs:
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Photographs
All the things in these photos are harmless.

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Thank you Jennewt & Mark,

The white bugs i've been seeing look kinda like the Copepods ? They do show jerking motion when they swim.
The worms on the other hand, I do not know if it is in the article, as i have mentioned, they look like MicroWorms white thin & stringy.

It is likely that these are a different kind of worm than what you had on your oscar fish. The article has one photo of typical white worms, and also clearly links to this page of other photos of various bugs:
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Photographs
All the things in these photos are harmless.

rosseager

Reaction score
have you ever had microworms in your tank. for example, feeding them when they were fry?

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
No, I keep my babies/juveniles in tupperwares until they are large enought to join up with the other axolotl's i have in the same tank. I only feed them salmon pellets and night crawlers. I do not use small food like blood worms, white worms, tubifex ect.. Too messy.

have you ever had microworms in your tank. for example, feeding them when they were fry?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1