Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie with a facial cut???

MelinaAnn

Reaction score
My axie, Zotl, is 7 years old, leucistic and my favorite pet... I've never had any problems at all with him until recently. I think he swam into a log and cut his face pretty good (log had been in his tank for years, but has been removed). :(

3 weeks ago, it started as a small pink/red gash with a white center. It was gradually getting a bit of white flappy skin that would hang off in front of his face (dangling in the water). I thought it was healing itself, but after eating a worm, the skin fell off and I saw that the cut was larger than I'd seen before.

The other day, he seemed to have a slight film with the same flappy skin touching his eye, so he's been getting his salt bath 3x a day for 2 1/2 days and in the fridge (the flappy skin fell off before the salt bath). I'm afraid that because it may not be a fungus, that salt bathing won't really help and is doing more harm than good.

Is it possible that he could regenerate half of his top lip? He has been eating (not since being in the cold fridge water).

The first pic is what it looked like a few weeks ago, the last two are today. HELP, my boy!

Attachments

• zotl2.jpg
    zotl2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 8,203
  • zotl1.jpg
    zotl1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 996
  • zotl.jpg
    zotl.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 748

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
This is a situation where a stint in the fridge is advisable. It will heal up just fine.

Have a go at the forum search functions and our sister sites for axolotl first aid.

If you absolutely feel you have to treat the critter chemically, try fridging with holtsfretter soulution as described on The Axolotl site.

MelinaAnn

Reaction score
Wonderful Thanks very much! I am doing everything possible NOT to treat him chemically, since he hasn't ever been exposed to any sort of tampering with his water . He's eating fine and swimming around, so I'm definitely hopeful. How long do you think it will take to regenerate? I am keeping an eye on him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!