Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why is my lotl's skin peeling?

Rachel2201

Reaction score
Sorry if I've reposted this:
My axolotl has white skin-like flakes peeling off his head and body. When he moves, the white stuff comes off, but it soon reappears.
I'm not sure if I should be worried or not - but any help would be appreciated.

Also, I was wondering what putting your axolotl in the fridge does.

Thanks, Rachel

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Sorry if I've reposted this:
My axolotl has white skin-like flakes peeling off his head and body. When he moves, the white stuff comes off, but it soon reappears.
I'm not sure if I should be worried or not - but any help would be appreciated.

Also, I was wondering what putting your axolotl in the fridge does.

Thanks, Rachel

Sounds like the mucus coat on your Axolotl is damaged or is becoming damaged. Did you handle or transfer your Axolotl in a net recently? The mucus coat be scraped off by rough surfaces. Its would be smart to check your water parameters and cool your Axolotl. Mucus would seemingly be stable in cold temps. Mucus stays more dense and solid in cold temperatures.

Without a mucus coat the Axolotl is exposed and unprotected. Fungus is a serious threat when a Axolotl has a damaged slime coat. If this is the case, monitor your Axolotl and fridge it if it looks really bad. I'd fridge it just in case for a couple days.

Rachel2201

Reaction score
He hasn't been in a net since we got him - which was in Jan.
So should I just put it in a container and put it in the fridge for a bit?
Thanks.

nikkiboo

Reaction score
Sounds like fridging and salt baths would be best! :happy: hope your axie is ok.

Neil C

Reaction score
Peeling skin is almost always poor water quality or high temperatures. The correct conditions will see the peeling skin disappear quickly unless it's reached critical levels.

Regards Neil

Rachel2201

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll change the water and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, I'll try fridging him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1