Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red Spotted Newt Pattern Variation?

psychotic

Reaction score
Two days ago I was poking around in my pond and happened to find a strange looking newt. Out of the 20 newts that I caught (and put back) this one was much different.

I'm used to seeing red spotted newts that look like this:

BigMale.jpg
Gravid.jpg

However this female doesn't look like the above pictured male and female (or the other tons of newts in my pond). She has so much pattern that if not for her "red spots" I wouldn't have thought she was the same type of newt. But we don't have any other type of newt here!

So my questions is this:
Is this a common pattern variation of the red spotted newt or did I really find something unusual?

BeautifulFemale.jpg

psychotic

Reaction score
Dang it's really driving me nuts! No one seems to be able to give me an answer lol. I'm keeping her and my big male jumped on her right away. So hopefully they will make some babies and some will look like mama. :p

FrogEyes

Reaction score
It's a red-spotted newt with an [I presume] abnormal pattern. You similar variations in other newts, including Taricha granulosa, Hypselotriton orientalis, and Cynops pyrrhogaster.

psychotic

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. She caught my eye right off because she looked much different from the others. I hope it can be passed along to her offspring.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, but in my opinion the variation among red spotted newts is infinite. It may even change over time. The red spots won't move, but the green part will change.

psychotic

Reaction score
It will be exciting to see how much she changes. I wonder if her color will change too? Right now she is light brown with a yellow belly.

nhaislip

Reaction score
I see alot of variety in Noto. in TN and this one looks alot similar to some I have found before. They are definitely incredibly variable.

Miko Hayashi

Reaction score
I have a few Red Spotted newts with various pattern variation. Two of them are the strangest (one of the two is missing) and the other four seem more normal. One of the strangely patterned ones is olive green with a yellow belly and five YELLOW looking spots. The other was most likely female (Gravid with eggs but currently MIA) that was mottled in appearance with incredibly faint red spots. I thought she was a central newt but I caught her in Vermont.

11826012_885156128198227_6996973599024308296_n.jpg

11870922_885156171531556_5018553400625104533_n.jpg

seandelevan

Reaction score
I'll tell you this.....I have lived in many different states and most of these newts I've seen all were run of the mill. I'm talking NY, NC, VA but for two years I lived in PA near the heart of the allegheny national forest and MOST of the newts I saw there looked like the ones you have pics of. A lot looked almost exotic. Never thought of it until I saw this post.

Reaction score
I've seen so many different pattern types and spot types all out of the same pond. Some had tiny red spots, some have bold red spots with a bold black outline. Some have alot of the darker markings and some may have just a few and be mostly green. It's really interesting that they they can look so different. One of my newts is named Aztec Mama, because her markings reminded me of some sort of Aztec pattern. Shes alot different than my others. I'll try to add some pics of them soon. I'm still new to the forum so still figuring it out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1