Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small gills and an extra leg, help please.

wetbeef

Reaction score
Hello my axie hugo has had an extra leg since i got him and im woundering if its anything to worry about? he allso seems to have smaller gills than many axies i see, what would be causeing that?

Attachments

• P1030580.jpg
    P1030580.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,022
  • P1030577.jpg
    P1030577.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 524
  • P1030579.jpg
    P1030579.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 771

wetbeef

Reaction score
thanks, i just seen pics with axys with huge plumes of gills, and just worried he was inadequately equipped lol. his leg is puzzaling, its got 2 well defined toes on it, i i think he might be trying to grow another one on the other side. i might end up with a 6 legged axy lol:confused:

Essentia

Reaction score
My axie (who you can see in my avatar picture) doesn't have huge plumey gills either. I figure they are kinda like people or any other animal. They all ahve their own characteristics. Some bigger, some smaller, some darker, some lighter, etc.

The extra leg is kinda intruiging though.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Regeneration isn't an exact process. Sometimes injuries can trigger regeneration, even if there wasn't an amputation. I've seen multiple toes, legs, and once, I caught a newt with two tails.

evershine

Reaction score
I just googled this as my Axie also has an extra limb. I found both your thread and also some info from wikipedia as pasted below. I found the transplant statement very interesting and scary at the same time. :( imagining scientists performing transplants :(

The feature of the salamander that attracts most attention is its healing ability: the axolotl does not heal by scarring and is capable of the regeneration of entire lost appendages in a period of months, and, in certain cases, more vital structures. Some have indeed been found restoring the less vital parts of their brains. They can also readily accept transplants from other individuals, including eyes and parts of the brain—restoring these alien organs to full functionality. In some cases, axolotls have been known to repair a damaged limb as well as regenerating an additional one, ending up with an extra appendage that makes them attractive to pet owners as a novelty.

Zenna

Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen an axie with 5 legs That's no neat! :happy: Beautiful axie none the less <3 It'll be interesting to see if he does end up growing a 6th leg! You've got one special axie! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1