Eggs! The strauchii have voted

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
The strauchii have gone to the polls. Of all the many nooks and crannies in their tank, they have selected Mt. Rushmore for their egg laying activities. I have not found eggs anywhere else.

The count so far: Prez Obama: 5 eggs, Prez Lincoln: 2 eggs, Prez Washington: 2 eggs.

However, polls are still open and there may be a few uncounted hanging chats somewhere.

These newts are 2 years old and this is their first time so the eggs are most likely duds. We'll see. The eggs are smallish (for such a big newt) and have a double jelly layer around them.

Atop Mt. Obama
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21773-top-o-mount-obama.jpg

Honest Abe displays 2 fashionable sideburn eggs
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21775-prez-lincoln-got-2-eggs-his-sideburn.jpg

Yes we Can! Java moss afro pushed aside for photo.
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21776-yes-we-can-eggs-mt-obama-java-moss-afro-pushed-aside-photo.jpg

Prez Washy has a hard time keeping his wig in order. First it got carried into Prez Abe's face by the current and now Mr. Strauchii tramples all over it.
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21777-prez-washington-having-another-wig-malfunction.jpg

I´m telling you now, in a few months everybody is going to be sporting sideburn caudate eggs.

Congrats on the eggs, Molch, fingers crossed they are fertilized! (a friend of mine is going to have a stroke when he reads this).

Congrats on the eggs! I hope they are fertile and have a good survival rate!

Prez O is the clear front runner. This morning's recount:

Prez O: 18 eggs
Prez Abe: 2 eggs
Prez Washy: 6 eggs

Prez O gets some ear eggs
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21799-dsc00335.jpg

never mind sideburns; the new fashion statement will be caudate egg earrings
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21800-dsc00338.jpg

I´m hoping they´ll lay an egg on the nose like one of those fake nose-rings.

How are the eggs looking Molch? Fingers crossed you have little strauchii's forming.

aah, well...so far most are duds. A few show signs of development, but then fuzz over anyways. There's a large number of odd-ball embryos which are weirdly shaped or much too small or too large.

A few may yet make it, but who knows? I read an old thread of Jen's on how first-time egg layers of this species produced smaller and less viable eggs. Mine are first-timers, so maybe that's why. Also, I haven't seen much courtship. The boys are occasionally spotted tail-fanning to themselves behind the filter intake, but they look like they are just trying to figure out what to do with themselves, hehe. Overall, the girls appear more mature.

There've been over 60 eggs so far so one can't complain about quantity. Egg laying continues, though, so we may get some good ones yet... :)

Are you raising any larvae? Pics!!

The strauchii have gone to the polls. Of all the many nooks and crannies in their tank, they have selected Mt. Rushmore for their egg laying activities. I have not found eggs anywhere else.

The count so far: Prez Obama: 5 eggs, Prez Lincoln: 2 eggs, Prez Washington: 2 eggs.

However, polls are still open and there may be a few uncounted hanging chats somewhere.

These newts are 2 years old and this is their first time so the eggs are most likely duds. We'll see. The eggs are smallish (for such a big newt) and have a double jelly layer around them.

Atop Mt. Obama
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21773-top-o-mount-obama.jpg

Honest Abe displays 2 fashionable sideburn eggs
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21775-prez-lincoln-got-2-eggs-his-sideburn.jpg

Yes we Can! Java moss afro pushed aside for photo.
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21776-yes-we-can-eggs-mt-obama-java-moss-afro-pushed-aside-photo.jpg

Prez Washy has a hard time keeping his wig in order. First it got carried into Prez Abe's face by the current and now Mr. Strauchii tramples all over it.
molch-albums-strauchii-tank-picture21777-prez-washington-having-another-wig-malfunction.jpg
Cool looking newt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back