Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ok...be HONEST - -how many tanks do you REALLY HAVE?

Jenste

Reaction score
I started looking around my house, and the thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...where-would-my-hobby-without-caudata-org.html really made me think.

A bunch of responses were - they would have more SPACE! This is most definitely true!

So, all in all I have...
a 72 Gallon bow front, a 36 Gallon Bow front, four 30 Gallon tubs, two 20 Gallon longs, four 10 gallons, a 7 gallon, a 3.5 gallon and about a half dozen 1 gallons and 1/2 gallons... pssh not much of a space problem at all!

When people who are not into the hobby ask how many I have, I usually play down the numbers to keep people from being shocked...I feel like I am a closet amphibian keeper! There are not many of us out in the open here in little Rhode Island

When my husband and I first moved in together 3 years ago this month, I bought my first 10 gallon, which at the time seemed big to us.... :rolleyes:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lets just call it 60ish. Maybe a bit more.

Yeah a bit more...like twice that much....xD Admit it, Peter, we have a problem (i include myself as i´m now officially part of your garden).

I have 15 tanks, but not all of them are currently housing animals. I know it´s not a lot, but i live in a one person flat and i´m not counting the two snake terrariums... My parents, and virtually anyone who sees my flat, think i´m mental...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You've got 15 tanks! Don't you think it's disturbing if you say that it's not a lot and that you expect other people to think the same? We all need some help here! Hellooóow!!

Thanks caudata.org!

Oh, shut up, you 29 tank hoarder :D
Actually, of those 15 tanks "only" 7 are 40l or larger. 2 are large plastic containers, and the rest are very small tanks i use for larvae and juveniles. In the context of this site, i´m a very small scale keeper.
And let´s be honest, Niels...no amount of help in the world is ever going to change us freaks!

morg

Reaction score
22 in the house, 2 spares in the shed, and then, i dont know if you would could count my converted coal shed housing bufo americanus, and purpose built outdoor enclosure containing s s terrestris?

Martin21114

Reaction score
ahhhhh.....I feel soooo much better now. I thought 8 was bad. This thread has me convinced I can persuade Dianna turning the porch/sunroom into a giant reptarium for my water dragon isn't really as crazy as it sounds....

Hayden

Reaction score
Oh man. This isn't fair because I so rarely use tanks. I have a lot of stuff in critter keepers, tubs, some wire cages, custom built used-to-not-be-tanks tanks... Here's the list though.
8 ten gallons
2 twenty longs
4 twenty-nines
3 fifty-fives
1 ninety
1 snake rack, 12 units high
A dump truck full of critter keepers, plastic tubs and wire cages.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thirteen actual glass tanks, ranging in size from several 10gallon up to 1 100gallon. Not all of them are currently in use, and the 65gallon houses fish. This does not include all the plastic tubs I have for larvae and juvenile housing. If I count those, the number just about doubles.
I keep all of them in what once was a spare bedroom in my basement, but about a year ago I took out the carpet and put down fake hardwood (something less water absorbing!), and now when friends ask what I keep in that room, I just tell them storage and ask them to ignore the strange glowing light from under the door and the sound of water bubbling....

Heather

Molch

Reaction score
oh bro, here goes:

1 40 ga (alpines)
2 29 ga (chenggs, pyrrhs)
1 30 ga long (strauchii)
1 20 ga long (marms)
1 20 ga (pyrrh eggs and larvae)
1 15 ga (cyanurus)
2 10 ga (vulgaris and baby alpines)
2 5 ga (eggs, larvae, baby chenggs)
1 3-ga plastic (baby vulgaris)
1 exoterra for the frog
plus Daphnia tubs and worm bins.

...currently unemployed in the shed: 1 30 ga long, 1 38 ga, 1 20 ga, 1 giant (50ga?) acrylic tub

...plus a padded cell for Molch, in which she locks herself when the urge to get another tank comes over her.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I have nine tanks, a few small ones and a plastic box for my morphed A.andersoni, my wife has threatened me with violence if I turn up with any additional aquariums or anything which could potentially be used as one, I am currently saving up for body armor as I have a plans to get a few more.

AngieD

Reaction score
I have 1 tank for my paddle tails, 1 for my kaiser's spotteds, and a tub for Teddy the juvenile cfbn. My boyfriend has a total of 3 tanks for amphibians, and 4 for his reptiles, plus a rabbit hutch in the garden for a long eared mammal :)
We don't have a lot of tanks, but I think my 3 tanks holding a total of 5 individuals is decent going for someone who isn't 'allowed' any pets

dor1363

Reaction score
Wow, I need to add more tanks to my house LOL, I only have 6 in use and 2 waiting for occupants
2 - 29 gallons 1houses 2 axies and the other a tiger salamander
1 - 40 houses my blue tongue skink
1 - 75 houses severums
1 - 10 with a tree frog
1 large custom for my tegu
1- 20 waiting for red eyed crocodile skinks
1 - 20 waiting for fire salamander
Now I need to show my husband everyones list so I can say see I really do not have that many :happy:

esn

Reaction score
Not enough. I intend to exponentially increase my tanks every 1.5 years. My girlfriend does not know this yet, but she'll find out in another year or so.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Luckily my partner's pretty understanding about it. But I've downsized quite a bit. I sold off animals to which I didn't have emotional attachment. I also quit breeding anything (for now) so that eliminates about 50 tubs right off the bat (larvae, daphnia, blackworms, etc). Now I have:

1 - 40 breeder
1 - 30 long
1 - 20tall
2 - 20longs
3 - 10gal

And my bull snake has a custom enclosure that's 6x3x3 feet. That takes a big chunk of the living room.

My drastic critter-diet is all self-imposed, as moving that many tanks sucks (I still remember moving the sirens from Michigan to Alabama; I'm glad I have very understanding friends!). My goal is to buy a house in the next couple of years and actually stay put for a while. I have no idea what will happen then. I see my rat and worm bill increasing exponentially.

methodik

Reaction score
Fortunately my gf is very reasonable to a certain point, so I have a small number of tanks - I think it is good, when I move to my own farm one day I will build newtvana, but for now...

1 4gal
2 15gals
1 30gal
2 plastic tubs

coming: a 95 gal, but frog frogs, not urodeles.

I think it is reasonable, considering three of those tanks will either be going onused or into the basement and I can store it all into two heavy duty shelves.

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Caudate tanks are similar to tattoos, email addresses, and direct-debits in the respect that at first you think you will only have one, but blink and you've got half a dozen..... as if by magic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1