Question: Water temperature?

JayFaye

Reaction score
Country
United States
So obviously axolotls need a pretty cool temperature, and now that its warming up outside, the water temperature is getting higher than I want it! Not to mention its making Toothless run around his tank all day now. Hahaha
But anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any good effective ways of cooling the water? Especially not a closely monitored one as I'm at school all day.
Ive tried the frozen water bottle, and while it works, it doesnt last all that long. I also came up with the idea of freezing his tank water into ice cubes and just putting those in there! Which I'll be honest I felt pretty clever about. Hahaha
Thoughts?

Hmm im new to axies but I live in Az and right now its getting about 103 during the day outside.. I keep my air on 75 and use a fan over the tank and in the room of my juvie axies.. Only other thing I may have to resort to would be a chiller.. they are expensive but ive been told they do the job ... If anyone else has ideas let me know to as its going to get 115 degrees here in Arizona this summer.. LOL thanks ;)

I'm in Idaho as well (Moscow). If you're in south Idaho, a chiller is probably your best bet. You can even make them from a discarded dorm fridge and some ingenuity.

Unfortunately I don't have the basement option. I guess I'll just try the ice cube method and see if that's effective, and if not I suppose I'll just have to invest in a chiller!

Using a desk fan (or a couple) is a very effective way of bringing the tank temperature down a few degrees.

I alternate for now between two large water bottles and a frozen gallon jug (like a milk jug but it had spring water in it). As soon as i get my snake racks and custom cages built i'll be investing in a sweeeet chiller. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back