Axolotl with strange medical concerns

wian

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
chrysler
hi guys yesterday night my axolotl called crysler started acting abnormally by that i mean he was just scared of everything and ussually he is a very nosey axolotl but that wasnt the end of it this morning he seemed to develop a big bump above his legs here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,410
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6,300
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 566
Re: Axolotl with strange medical concernes

He looks a bit on the thin side.....What are you feeding him? How often? Could you post a photo looking down on him please
The lump could be his bones or it could be something like a cyst........you my need to take him to see a vet.....

Whats up with your axies tail??? its fan part is only only on the tail and super vainy

Do you know your water parameters ? What is the water temperature ? Do you know your ammonia+nitrite+nitrate+etc levels ?

How do you filter your tank ? How often and how much water do you change ?

Do you use any chemicals and if so, what ?

What does the axolotl eat ? How much ? How often ?

I agree that this axolotl looks too thin - and this could be causing the general poor health and loss of caudal fin. It could be something with the tank parameters, too. Or some kind of infection. Lots of possible cause and effect. :)

hi guys hes always been that skiny no matter how much i feed him and he eats the most. i feed him a mix food pack of shrimp, beef heart ect ect and thats every 2 days
the temp i usually 20 to 18 degrees c but its winter here so im getting a chiller later we have had problems with ammonia but we fixed that ph is at 7.2 and i dont know the others but we have added water conditioner.

hi i just realised that i have live plants and i got a plant fertaliser that the shop recomended to me its called api leaf zone
ingredients
soluble potash
iron
chelated iron
potassium sulfate
i was also recomended to use api melafix for them is it safe and will this help at all

How do you filter the water ? What is your water-change schedule ?

Shrimp and beef heart are more "treats" and aren't really good for them. It's like chocolate bars.

I would get something like earthworms or Hikari sinking carnivore pellets. :) The latter you can order on-line easily (you can get worms too, but then have to deal with live shipping).

Is the water conditioner something more than just dechlorinator ?

If you're truly having a fungus problem, salt baths are the way to go. If you use a mild salt ratio, it's your safest option. :)

Melafix is generally for things like open wounds, but that doesn't seem to be your problem. I wouldn't use Pimafix, either - it can be toxic and you have to you it at a much smaller dose than stated on the bottle. Salt baths are going to help with a fungus and be much safer.

ok tanks i got earthworms today i do a 30% water change once a week and i wiil most certainly try a salt bath

If you don't have a filter, you might have to do water changes more/often.

I would receommend getting a sponge filter if you don't have a filter - very easy and quiet and very cheap. :)

oh sorry i didnt mention that i have an internal filter but dont worry i stoped the flow by pointing it to the glass

Only do a salt bath if your axolotl has fungus, this will look like cotton wool.
Let us know how your axolotl gets on with the earthworms :D If they are big, you may need to cut them to size, I would offer some may be twice a day for a while.

hey guys he has just eaten three earthworms:happy: and he has a nice full tummy now.
i really hope he gets better cause hes my little man with the attitude.:D

Hi

Wians mum. Cant believe I am now in this too. Been up since Crysler become ill every night, crying and praying for the poor man to make it through each night. He is still going. Eating well and love the earth worms, pellets ( thanks for the tips). We take a day at a time now.

Thanks again for everyone helping Wian.:blob:

hey guys thanks for all your nhelp but crysler passed away this morning:(

So sorry to hear that :(
RIP little guy

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back