The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) Now comprising at least 3 species, this genus of newts includes the largest "newt" in the world, Pleurodeles waltl.

Old 27th April 2012   #1
maelstrom
(maelstrom)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Color morph?

Hello everyone i have a whole bunch of spanish ribbed eggs laid by my new newt i got three weeks ago, they are developing well and i was wondering if there is any way that by looking at them i could tell if they will be leucistic or wild type? please email me at maelstrom1_20@msn.com as i dont really have a way of browsing reliably.

maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012   #2
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Color morph?

Many of the ribbed newts available in our area have come from one breeder who also produces leucistics. I expect that many of the "normals" are heterzygous for leucism and thus stand a fair chance of producing such in their litters.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012   #3
maelstrom
(maelstrom)

Nationality:
Rep: maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Color morph?

thats what i thought i was just wondering if they would look different that early or what not

maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012   #4
Hugh
(ahritchie)

Nationality:
Rep: ahritchie has shown reliable knowledgeahritchie has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Color morph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom View Post
thats what i thought i was just wondering if they would look different that early or what not
It's impossible to tell by the egg; within a few days of hatching however it's pretty obvious if there's leucistic larvae...they are white and see-through while the eyes appear darker than a "regular" ribbed newt.

ahritchie is offline   Reply With Quote