Air stone for babies?

emily74

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily74
Hi all! I haven't been able to find if the babies should have an air stone or not after hatching. I'm assuming since none of the articles on raising them that I could find mention it, that it's probably not needed but I wanted to make sure. Also, I read on the axolotl.org site that soft water is not the best for them. Our building uses a water softener, I have no idea how to get "hard water" ... any ideas? Or is it not that big of a deal? Ahhh I'm so nervous! One of the little guys started to wiggle in his egg last night and it startled the heck out of me lol. Very cool!

I haven't heard anything about needing an airstone. Seems like it would just knock the babies around the tank. They're so small! XD.

And I think you could add salt to make the water hard? But I'm not sure about this. I've also heard Epsom salt or marine salt work too (something about magnesium and calcium not being present in soft water) but it's not something I'd feel comfortable trying without finding out from an expert first!

Congrats on your little guys! The first time I saw one of mine move, I was rivted. Then scared my roommates by yelling that they were moving. It's very cool indeed :D

Thank you! that's kinda what I was thinking, that it would be too much for them anyways, but I would feel horrible if they all died because I didn't put one in. Thank you again!

If the bubbles don't make too much current in the water, then it is good. Axolotls need Oxygen rich water, or else they will swim to the surface to get air constantly. I own 2 Axolotls, and I do use an Airstone, but I don't have it ''on'' all the time, mainly because my Axolotls like to sit in the plants, wich are located next to the airstone. :D

If the water is shallow, then you will not need to use an air stone. :D

I tend to not use an air stone until they are 2+ inches or so. Before then I am replacing the water so often (due to baby brine shrimp salinity) that there is plenty of oxygen. Good luck with your little ones!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back