Illness/Sickness: Trapped eggs, internal bleeding, swollen leg and fungus.. Please someone help us with olive :(

Yindy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Olive our one & half year old wild type axi had eggs, a huge clump of which were very stuck & I had to help her release them which I did very gently.. A couple of days later she got droopy gills and regurgitated food which she had eaten a couple of days previous. So I put her in the fridge, followed all the guidelines, dechlorinated water, dark tea towel & right temperature, 100% changes daily etc.
She has been in there for about three weeks now, and has developed fungus on her tail. She has mucus and what looks like poo stuck in her opening.. There are always bit of mucus floating round in her container. Today a huge clump of mucus came out of her and we noticed under her body has gotten very red from her abdomen down to one of her legs. This leg is extremely swollen compared to her others and even her toes look plump.
I do know that axolotls generally absorb any eggs that are left in the womb but is there a chance these eggs are stuck in some sort of birth canal and aren't in the correct position to be reabsorbed? The swollen leg and redness surely indicate something serious :( Shes also extremely lethargic, I have another leucistic in the fridge who is very active compared to olive, you can do anything with olive and she hardly moves. Her mouth seems to be stuck partly open also.
I'm on iPad ATM but will upload pics off my laptop soon as they're uploaded..
If you can, please help us.. She a beautiful axolotl with a lot of character
Thank you

Last edited:
pics added.

Attachments

• IMG_7857.JPG
    IMG_7857.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 10,010
  • IMG_7858.JPG
    IMG_7858.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 5,268
As this has been going on for such a long time, I think your axolotl needs to be taken to a vet for treatment now. I would guess that the pinkness stems from a bacterial infection and you can not treat this your self.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've found a herp in Liverpool. The earliest I can get there is Thursday. I hope she can hang on :'( we've tried bringing her to room temperature and feeding her a couple of times but she just ends up visibly distressed. Very tough.

Fingers crossed for the little lady!

:( got to the vets, she was egg bound after reading countless posts that they don't get egg bound.. She had septicaemia all over,he milked her n gave her needles etc n she sadly passed this afternoon. Very sad axi mummy x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back