Housing larvae?

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
I am starting a breeding project as soon as I get my golden albino female from
buy-axolotls.com. I was wondering the if anyone could provide pics on their larvae setups. What is the best way to house many larvae and not have canibalisticn problems.

Thank you

Evan

LOTS & LOTS OF TUBS!!! Axolotls generally lay between 150 to 250 eggs, but have heard of bigger broods, whilst they are just eggs they can be kept together, but it may be easier to seperate them into smaller groups of eggs, as this will help when they start hatching.For the first month or 2 you can keep upto 10 larvae in 1 tub/container, so if you have 250 eggs, that's 25 containers, and these will require daily water change's, which can become tiresome, although dedication turns that into joy and pleasure when you see them growing, but then they will come into the canabalistic stage, and if you don't seperate them into individual containers, and they start biting each other and causing injuries, they may well regenerate, but if you plan on raising them to sell, if they have'nt been seperated during the canabalistic stage, then they may always attack others axolotls. So be prepared to have lots of containers. I have also read that if the axolotls are not hungry, so well fed, then this also buffers the canabalistic stage. This is just how i do it, and it works fine, but i only raise 50 max, couldn't handle 250.

I have just raised 30 from the egg to about 5-6 inches and have had maybe 2 lost limbs, no missing gills. I started them all out in a small tub then split them into two then into three larger 1.5 gallon long tubs. I kept them separated by size and they were at times not evenly divided between the three tubs. The time I noticed missing limbs was right after they started growing them.

I keep them well fed and not stacked on top of each other like cord wood and they have done just fine.

I would just go with the mind set that if they are well fed, water is clean and cool and you keep them separated by size and dont over crowd any one tub/tank you should be fine. If you end up with a couple biters then spread them out a bit more.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back