Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Pointy growth on axolotl tail - what is it?

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
We have three juvenile axolots (5 mo. old) in an aquarium.

Recently we have noticed a strange growth at the end of one's tail. See attached photos.

The axolotl in question has been acting a bit shy lately. He is also a fair bit larger than his tankmates - but they all bite each other now and again.

Any idea what the pointy growth might be?

Attachments

• AIMG_1549.jpg
    AIMG_1549.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 3,268
  • AIMG_1551.jpg
    AIMG_1551.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 735
  • AIMG_1552.jpg
    AIMG_1552.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 690

Hayden

Reaction score
It looks like it might be a skin tag of sorts, or maybe somebody nipped at his tail and it healed funny. I would just keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't get bigger.

By the way, That is a stunning axolotl. :)

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Hayden! It does seem more like a growth than something attached to him. We will keep an eye on it.

Jasmini

Reaction score
One of my axolotls got the same issue! It has been there for a few months and it hasn't gotten any worse... I would just go with little piece of skin attatched very strangly :happy:

ahiggin1

Reaction score
wow, beautiful colors! first off lol
second, axies are the gods of the regeneration world. It could just be that the cells got concentrated and formed a tag, or as Hayden said that it might have just healed weird.
If it got any bigger, I would worry more about the others trying to nip at it :/
Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1