Illness/Sickness: Dead legs but still attached, PLZ HELP!!

nzgirl87

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Amanda
:errr:my axo got attacked by another and is now in its own tank to heal as 2 legs got injured but what i am worried about is the fact that they are dead, he does not use the legs and they are going jelly like, ive seen the same when i have had baby axos die and they go slimy, i dont no what to do about the legs, will they fall off?? what can i do to help? please anyone at all! i have salt etc for salt bathing if this is needed also and a fridge tht can sit at 5degrees.

i have been breeding axos for couple years and this is my first injury so advice would be great!

I'd go see a vet if possible. That doesn't sound good. Your best bet may be to amputate the affected limbs and let them regenerate. I'm not advising you to do that by any means, just that you may have to. I'd see a vet asap and go from there.

How big is the axolotl? I'd look into what anesthesia works best and snip snip. I watched andersoni legs being cut in regeneration experiments. They were knocked out with anesthesia in the water and came around quickly after the procedure. I doubt that most vets would be much help.

the axo is fully grown and i have called around and can find no vet to help me, some even suggested to do it myself if they are dead

It's a tough call.

With other species, I know it's normal process for such damaged parts to fall off on their own, usually without issue. I don't know for sure if this is the case with axolotls.

Can you touch the legs without exciting the axolotl ? Are they truly, fully dead, or is there feeling ?

Amputation is sometimes necessary, but you have to be very careful. You will likely not have access to truly sterile instruments, so there is the risk of infection. If the limbs are not actually "dead" and lacking in sensitivity, or even if you simply brush against the axolotl during the process - it can be easily startled and become injured by the amputation instruments when it thrashes around to get away.

Especially since you have multiple limbs that might need amputation, the axolotl will likely be startled and quite stressed after the first one.

You might have good luck finding a vet by calling a good local pet store that sells exotic critters or fish. They usually will have connections - or they might be able to help you, themselves.

If the tissue beyond the dead part looks healthy and you notice no progression, it might be the "safe bet" to keep observing and see if the legs deteriorate enough to fall off on their own. If you touch the leg to check for sensitivity, it may also be all that is needed to agitate it enough to fall off.

The legs are deffinatly dead, they have both gone very white and i can see where the blood flow ends, i have touched the legs and moved them and the axo doesnt seem distressed at all and i have been keeping him in the fridge, ihave spoken to a local pet store and they have suggested a few tips like waiting to see if they will fall off etc but then also said that amputation may be what is needed, i have been doing alot of research and have managed to get my hands on some sterile surgical things that they use in the hospital and have a friend to assist me. one leg is semi detached so i was going to leave that one as it looks as tho it will fall off on its own but the other is not coming away at all and is just all white and limp, my axo is a gold one which has made it easier to see the vains etc for blood flow and i was worried about it not being fully dead but i am pretty sure they are :( he is still eating and acting normal apart from the 2 lifeless limbs he is carrying around so i am hoping it will all be ok.

After lots of thought and research the legs have successfully been removed without much stress at all on the axo, he even ate right after. After getting a close look it was easy to see there was not alot holding them on anyway, the axo didnt seem startled or move around at all while it took place as he had been chilling out in the fridge for 24 hours before hand, now i will keep a close eye on the healing and regrowth of his little limbs!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back