Axolotl death

gradym

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased my first (leucistic) axolotl a year ago, and have been able to maintain very well. I do not know how old it was, but it appeared to be an adult, and assumed ‘he’ was sexually mature. I am a biology teacher (which is why my story is even more devastating...) and I took it home for the spring break, and planned on keeping it home for the summer.
For several days, the house was rather warm, although I had not changed the water completely, I was adding about 20% new water to the tank. I do not use substrate other than LARGE pebbles...no gravel or anything he could swallow!
Three days ago, I noticed that the axolotl was a ‘mottled’ pink, and it looked stressed. It appeared red around the eyes and the nose, its gills were very pink, and the body was ‘mottled’. I immediately changed the water and added ice overnight, thinking it was hot and/or too much ammonia in the water (although water didn’t look cloudy or ‘bad’ – but I did not test). I think I stressed out the axolotl with such a temperature change, and sadly the next day it died. I am devastated over the fact that I probably killed my poor little critter, and can’t stop thinking about what I did wrong, although I can assume one or a combination of ‘wrongs’ of heat, water quality, and my attempt to remedy the water/temperature too quickly. I would let my water stand for several days before adding to the tank.
I want to get another axolotl, but absolutely do not want to repeat the outcome. Can you give any insight based on the appearance I described and what the issue would have been? Temperature? If I had just changed the water and no ice, would ‘Floyd’ be alive today?
My next setup, I will purchase a ‘chiller’ to maintain temperature, and will monitor water quality more diligently. Any ideas for a good, but inexpensive way to 'chill' would be helpful. I used a hang-on-the-back filter.
I feel horrible about this incident, and worried about getting another. I have several critters for the classroom (as well as home), and regular vet checkups etc...I am a very responsible pet owner and take my responsibilities seriously, which is why I am so devastated over this.....any insight you would share would be appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back