Two Tailed C. Orientalis

alove

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my C. Orientalis possesses a second tail, one directly above the other. It does not have scarration or seem to be caused by any sort of wound. I am currently working under the hypothesis that it is either a birth defect, or genetic mutation. The second tail does not seem to hinder him/her (haven't checked yet), because it's a very active adult. I am tempted to breed it to find out if it is a genetic mutation, but I was curious if any of you have heard about this before.

One of my C. Orientalis possesses a second tail, one directly above the other. It does not have scarration or seem to be caused by any sort of wound. I am currently working under the hypothesis that it is either a birth defect, or genetic mutation. The second tail does not seem to hinder him/her (haven't checked yet), because it's a very active adult. I am tempted to breed it to find out if it is a genetic mutation, but I was curious if any of you have heard about this before.

If the tail is not bothering the animal it should be fine. I'd leave it as is. I've seen pictures of newts with 2 tails before. "Kaysie" has a picture of a wild Eastern Newt with 2 tails. Maybe it can be found in her albums. I've seen some bad deformities in my time like 6 legs and 2 hands on 1 limb. I don't favor such deformities, hope your newt lives a long happy life.

In all likelihood it´s the result of an abnormal regeneration. This kind of thing happens in animals that have the ability to regenerate parts of their body. I have/used to have a wall lizard near my house with two regenerated tails.

Thank you for the responses. I think I've decided to breed this individual, partially because my background in genetics makes me extremely curious if it is a passable trait, and if it is, I'd love to see how it affects their viability at a larval stage. Secondly, because I am extremely fond of this individual and love the look of the variation. In truth, my only real problem is that he's a finicky eater.

Thank you for the responses. I think I've decided to breed this individual, partially because my background in genetics makes me extremely curious if it is a passable trait, and if it is, I'd love to see how it affects their viability at a larval stage. Secondly, because I am extremely fond of this individual and love the look of the variation. In truth, my only real problem is that he's a finicky eater.

I'm doubtful that it's a heritable trait. If it's a result of a odd regeneration due to some sort of injury, then it's definitely not heritable. These animals have amazing regenerative abilities. Axolotls are even able to regenerate portions of their brains (just think, a renewable food source for zombies). Other mutations involving multiple or too few legs or other organs are sometimes the result of exposure of either the parent, embryos, or larvae to some sort of contaminant. If there is a issue with inbreeding in the population, you could have mutated individuals, but the mutations aren't always consistent. Usually survivorship is affected with inbreeding and the younguns' don't make it. Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back