Nutritional analysis of common live foods/gutloading

ignatz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone seen a reliable source for nutritional analyses of various live foods? The 'net being what it is, there seems to be a lot of speculative nonsense floating around, particular about the value of things like Artemia. Also, as Ed has pointed out, there are some inherent risks and waste associated with using supplements in food.

Which brings up the question, what is the utility of "gut loading" Grindal worms, blackworms, Daphnia, fairy shrimp etc. with certain foods to add to their overall nutrition profile. For instance, I've gotten into the habit of adding ground flax seed to the oatmeal I use for various species of "microworm" nematodes, which is supposed to increase their levels of unsaturated fats and omega 3's - seems to make some difference in conditioning fish for breeding but what the actual value is for caudates is a mystery to me at least.

Ditto for other high nutrition foods I've been using to gut load food animals, such as spirulina and other dried alga used for human consumption.

For reliable sources of nutritional analyses, see the references in this article:
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

I've never seen any analyses for gut loading (except for crickets). Do you know of any labs that could be contracted to do such studies? I have a long list of such experiments I'd like to see done! In the meantime, my approach is "it doesn't hurt", so I try to gutload with fortified foods. For example, I use baby oatmeal instead of plain oatmeal for whiteworms, as it contains vits & mins.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back