Eurycea bislineata breeeding attempt.

Jari B

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Jari Boerboom
I have Eurycea bislineata for about 2,5 years now, but I have never done a breeding attempt before. My group contains 6 adult animals with unsure sexes. I have seen in the past that 2 of the animals had a cirri visible, so I guess that those 2 are males.

After some research I thought about a good breeding tactic that might work. Their normal set up was a really basic one with a few stones with holes in them. The temperature is almost constant all year round. To break this normal habit I stopped feeding them for 1 week and after that I put my entire group in a cricket box with damp moss in the fridge at 6 degrees Celsius. They are in the fridge for 1 week already and I noticed egg development in at least 2 of my animals. The ovary are visible from underneath and you can see the eggs in several different sizes in the females developing. The activity is dramatically reduced since they are in the fridge but the development started when they entered the fridge.

ZpVsT.jpg

xBFhs.jpg

I am thinking about keeping them for 1-1,5 more weeks in the fridge to make sure they have a good cooling period. During their current time in the fridge I have changed their aqua-terrarium as you can see on the pictures below. I am advised to put a small pump in the aqua-terrarium to make a current that will probably make the bislineata lay their eggs. In their aquarium before they entered the fridge I had no pump.

8zDjC.jpg

iV5Xs.jpg

I would like to hear your opinion and tips in my breeding attempt. Sorry for the bad quality of some of the pictures.

They have bred a few times for me in a 10g tank with gravel, stacked flat rocks about 2/3 of the way to the top, and a water level 3-4" deep, with a constant trickle of water flowing over the rocks. Temp and photoperiod were adjusted seasonally, from a winter low ~40F to a summer high of 68F.

Good luck!

Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back