Quite a surprise to come home to...

Shaun6685

Reaction score
Country
United States
So roughly a week ago I found spermatophores in my tank for the first time. I was excited at the prospect of possibly having some babies, but the females seemed pretty uninterested in the males. I was beginning to lose hope that I'd see babies anytime soon.

Fast forward to today. I got out of work tonight and arrived home a little bit after 8pm. I came upstairs to check on my CRS, one of which just had babies. After staring at my tank for a few minutes, unable to spot any of the shrimplets, I turned my attention to my axolotl tank... Both of my males were going absolutely nuts! I watched them go after one of my females for a minute or two, and as they moved around the tank I noticed a lot of spermatophores... and something that looked entirely different. Then I look up... there are albino eggs EVERYWHERE. As I type this, my golden albino is still laying eggs, poor girl looks exhausted.

Though I'm excited about this, I'm more hopeful about my other female... my COPPER female. She is normally wandering about the tank, following me around and watching me intently. Right now she is just being lazy in the plants and looking quite plump. I don't think she has laid any eggs yet, but her behavior is very similar to my golden female, who finally seems to be taking a rest in one of the hides. I suppose it's possible that they both laid eggs, given that they are both albino... but I'm pretty sure it was just the one. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Awesome you got to see it, i have seen my tetras in my community tank spawn twice since i got them and its exciting to watch. Cant imagine what it would be like for axolotls good luck hatching and raising them.

If you are interested in rehoming any of those eggs I am deffinitely interested in some

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

**UPDATE** Re: Quite a surprise to come home to...

So here's an update... I get home from work about a half hour ago and come check on my axolotls. My assumption was right... my copper is laying eggs as we speak. So now I have two separate clutches all mixed together, and they're all albino eggs. I really wish I had collected the eggs last night now, I have no way of knowing which is which. I'm also fairly certain that both males had laid down spermatophores, so I guess it could be possible that both males are the fathers of both clutches. This should be interesting...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back