Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Crawdads equal hungry axolotl food aparently.....

squishyjaws12

Reaction score
So I was out early this morning daphnia hunting and instead came accross about two dozen 1 inch or smaller crawdads so I brought them home and plopped them in the lotl tank after a good rinse.......5 minutes later..... I come back and my older wildtype and my golden albino are looking like fat rats in a cheese factory and there are no crawdads to be found in the tank at all. So here's the question will my lotls be ok ? And can I continue to give them crawdads as a treat on a regular basis ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Because of the hard shell they could get impacted. It you want to feed them do it as a treat or wait until the crayfish has gone soft shell and shed. I set out traps for crayfish and can catch 300 in just few hours. I peel the tails and cook the meat. Then I smash it flat with meat press and feed it to my axies all the time. I smash it because when I cook it, it tends to get tough and hard for a axie to chew and swallow. Doing this has made keeping axies almost free for me. My only cost is the water. I only feed worms and crayfish now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!