Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

For the experts - Andersoni or Mexicanum

LeFarge

Reaction score
I bought these 4 caudates at a high price in good faith from a VERY reputable UK dealer -

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/lefarge-albums-ambystoma-andersoni-anderson-s-salamanders.html

They are German CB, apparently. As you can see the pics chart their growth from juvies to subadults.

None of the 4 have any hint of the typical Andersoni colouration and several users have emailed me on here saying they think I have been mis-sold Mexicanum wildtypes.

I waited and waited for the patterning to show through but 6 months on - zip. I have asked the guy I bought them from and he says he saw their parents which were definitely Andersoni.

I have seen on Google a vague picture of a dark Andersoni, but not sure how accurate that is.

The behaviour of these Caudates was initially different to my Mexicanum - they were more aggressive feeders and spent a lot of time sat on back legs and tail looking up... though this has stopped some months ago... they all came to me a bit skinny (one VERY skinny) so maybe they were just hungry!

I am at the point now where I have to admit I don't know what they are - the headshape is different to any of my 4 Mexicanum but it doesn't look like any Andersoni picture I've seen either!

Most frustrating of all, the dealer in question now has a number of traditionally marked A Andersoni in stock, considerably cheaper than those I bought, but has blanked my suggestion he swap two of them for the last two I bought from him (both of which had defects that were not mentioned - specifically one only has feathers on 2 gills and 1 has a 'lobster claw' on his front paw)...

Any thoughts from those genuinely familiar with Andersoni would be appreciated... I am frustrated at not knowing what they are.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but i´d say those look an awful lot like A.mexicanum. The pattern is aaaall wrong and there´s something off about the head.
If the dealer is the one i´m thinking, reputable is not an adjective i´d used, let alone preceded by a "very"...

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
I have 7 juvies that look just like these guys, sadly they had A. mexicanum parents. I would not call this dealer reputable. I wonder how many others were sold with the same description for a mark up since Andersoni are harder to get.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I agree that they look like A.mexicanum, they were apparently from the same batch of A.andersoni that mine were from, i bought mine from the same dealer as Lefarge, whilst mine are definitely A.andersoni these are not. I would consider taking legal action against the dealer if apropriate recompense was not made. Also cut to the chase, the dealer is dart frog.

LeFarge

Reaction score
thanks for comments so far... be interesting to get feedback from michael shrom or any of our german friends...

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
At first glance they look like A. mexicanum. Their is a lot of variation in A. andersoni. I'd hesitate to make a call either way. I'd try to dialogue more with the dealer about your concerns.

esn

Reaction score
I have my own andersoni, and they have never looked anything like those pictures. I do, however, have three young wildtypes that do look like that. I would say that they are light wild types, but who knows if they're actually a cross breed - the supplier could be duping with a mexicanum andersoni cross, considering the color on one of the photos. It's a tough call. If Michael can't tell, who knows!

scooty16

Reaction score
Goodness! Where can you get these beautiful types from? They are gorgeous, I am very jealous! :D

esn

Reaction score
I'm jealous that you're able to get your hands on some in the UK. I have a pair and I'm looking for more, but they aren't available here at all. I got mine from dumb luck finding them in a store. I still haven't figured out the breeder their supplier got them from.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!