Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl probably dead but

LostRevanche

Reaction score
Hi. Rather sad first post. I came home from work to find my six month old axolotl curled up, stiff, with her legs under her body. I assumed she was dead. I've read some of the posts here and have tried putting her in the fridge. She was stiff when I put her in. Is there anything else I can do?

The situation seems hopeless. She wasn't eating as much and was pooping a lot. I reckon it was indigestion. Gutted.

LostRevanche

Reaction score
Afraid so. I'll leave her in the fridge overnight. What's so sad was she was normal this morning.

LostRevanche

Reaction score
UPDATE: She's still in the same position, gills curled up and white, and her body is rigid with the mouth open. She has definitely died. Judging from the swelling of the head and chest it was a heart attack. I feel so sad because she was such an active little thing and I tried to be careful. Thank you for your kind advice.

mshine1217

Reaction score
:( I'm sorry for your loss, sometimes our critters die for no aparrent reason. Sometimes that's the hardest situation to deal with. Don't be descouraged from trying again.

LostRevanche

Reaction score
Thanks. She was my first and I only had her three months. I'm still in shock a little but I can appreciate having her for the time I did. I will try again - keeping the tank cycled in preparation - but I need a space to mourn. Axolotls are small beings and big personalities. :)

Danolfs

Reaction score
*huge internet hug*

We recently lost our axolotls as well... They went into a bad stress and so we put them in the refrigerator... When we checked on them later that night, they were fine at 9pm and then when we checked on them at midnight they were gone. It's hard to understand what we did wrong so for now we are mourning as well.

We'll keep you and your axie in our thoughts!

LostRevanche

Reaction score
Thanks for the hugs and sorry I only found them now. Hugs back :). It is hard but sometimes the poor babies have something wrong with them you can't see. You had the time with them though and that's what it's really all about.

I bought two new ones today, adults, and I strongly suspect one of them to be genetic brother to Tani - same pet shop, same batch, same freckles, same adventurous spirit. He's dominating his wild type tankmate despite the fact it's supposed to be the other way around -.-.

Life does go on but you never get over a pet. It's not the same thing to get a new one. Soon, though, the memories of the time you had together replace any bad memories of the end. I just hope that happens soon for you both.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1