Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: He's dying

sushiNpearl

Reaction score
our poor Chazzy does not seem to be doing any better. Has anyone seen anything like this? He released spermaphores 2 months ago and a few weeks after his genitles swelled and at one point were bleeding... now his cloaca is purple and he is extremely lethargic and doesnt really react to movement and ends up laying on his back a lot. he is def not doing well his poor little mouth hangs open he looks like he's in so much pain its almost to the point that I think he needs to be put to sleep. The best I can tell is that maybe he has a prolapsed cloaca... We live in Texas and the vets here in Corpus Christi don't have a clue about axolotls...

thoughts?

Attachments

• chazzy.jpg
    chazzy.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,907

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
HI,

I am sorry about your axolotl. Based on the photo and your account of his illness progression, i would have to agree that euthanasia is certainly something to consider.

From the image, it appears to be a combination of cloacal prolapse and also significant traumatic injury ( a wound resulting from a laceration or even possibly a foreign body that it was trying to pass out).

If you really want to do what you can to keep it alive, surgical intervention, anti-inflammatories, analgesia, top notch husbandry and +/- prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotics will be necessary and even with that, there is no guarantee of success.

Sorry i couldn't give you better news.

Regards

sushiNpearl

Reaction score
Thanks for the help/reassurance shortly after my post the other axolotls laid nxt to him and he either died or was dying...my fiancé and I couldn't take it anymore and we decided to freeze the poor guy to make sure he was gone. He was a great axolotl I guess releasing those spermaphores turned out to be too rough on him. The good in the bad is that he left behind 150 babies that just might turn out to be just as awesome as he is!

RIP chazzy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!